Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Update on Tiger oscars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you are going for a 55 gallon why bother removing the pleco. Let him be there. If you are going to remove him, I think an algae eater must be brought in. I'm not very sure about algae eaters. You may have to consider posting it separately in another section and get you feedback.
svendawgg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how the tank has changed in the last little while. I am starting to try out the whole Planted tank thing. I have done a DIY CO2 yeast reactor using a 600 ml bottle. For some reason I couldnt get the 2 liter to work. It is putting out about a bubble a second. The co2 is going from the bottle down some air hose and into a cut out bottom section of another 600 ml bottle. In the tank is my Oscar and my Pleko. They seem to be living quite happily together. The oscar has grown about half an inch sence I got him and is colouring up quite nicely. I have re-arranged the tank too, hopefully for the last time. I think it looks quite nice. I am just waiting for the java moss to cover the co2 bubble collector at the bottom of the tank. Here are some pictures showing how its coming along. If you have any advice or comments on this tank feel free to mention them.

This is what my tank looks like right now. I like the way the creemy rocks look on the black gravel. I burried my bubble stones under the gravel so they arent visible, and the Co2 stuff is in the middle of all the plants.

This is the Oscar. My girlfriend names it No Mames (its japanese for don't F*ck with me) after he killed what was eventually supposed to be his mate last month. He is about 2 inches long or so. Fattened up pretty good. I feel him mostly flakes, with the occasional cube of frozen bloodworms, and a goldfish every couple weeks for a treat.

Last but not least my Pleko, he is a little longer than the Oscar, about 3 inches. The Oscar doesn't bother him too much tho, but I have seen him get nipped at a couple times.

Last edited by svendawgg on 2005.05.15(Sun)23:14; edited 1 time in total
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good to see. I see the pains you have taken to restore things in your tank.

Mate thats a good name for an oscar Laughing Twisted Evil . All the best.
svendawgg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, there are only a couple things that I think need to be done. I would like to put a backdrop on the tank again, but I need to cut it to size. Also I would like to put in some smaller fish, knowing they will eventually be eaten. But they will need to be cheep, and give the tank some more color. Keep in mind I would like to put more plants in the tank infront of the backdrop. With my co2 I'm kinda expecting them to grow at a rapid rate.
svendawgg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we were on the topic of my fish tank too. I wanted to show why I have a co2 reactor right now. This is the poor condition of my plants.
I can't seem to get rid of the Algae on them tho, my pleko will not even touch the stuff. I want this tank to be a nice planted tank with an Oscar. I know the challenges of putting plants in with a fish that does not like decorations much. But I would still like to plan something for my tank to keep it looking nice, with some smaller fish for color. The Oscar will basically be the king of the tank, as it is his tank to begin with. Anybody with ideas or comments?

Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My God!!! Shocked Why would you do that? That sounds harsh. I would'nt introduce more fish in the tank knowing that my Oscar will eat them. Moreover in a 29 gallon I'll certainly keep the oscar alone. I would probably go for the 55 gallon create lots of hiding spots and then go for more fish to add colour to you tank. First of all if you want your tank to be colourful then why go for the poor oscar knowing that he won't have the colours of your liking. Please reconsider your plans.
Personally I would like to see more people posting in this topic actually. Sad
Pi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's meant as a grow-out tank, but a 29 is not appropriate for an oscar. They grow rapidly, and it will stunt him.

I find it rather ironic that despite the fact you say you want the tank to be nice for your oscar, you refuse to accept that the tank is too small (yes, even for one that is still growing!). And, referring to what you mentioned somewhat earlier, I don't know where you came up with the information that a 55gal is good for a pair of oscars, but a 55 is usually listed as the minimum tank size for one.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile16.html
http://www.theoscarspot.com/FAQ1.htm
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/oscar.htm
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_oscar.php

Take your pick.

Pi
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he realizes he will soon have to move his fish, I think keeping it in there until its alittle bigger is fine. As long has he has his bigger tank waiting he can keep it in there for a few more inches... but thats just MO
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I am of the opinion that people who want to keep big fish should start with a big tank - circumstances can change, eg finances, meaning that you are stuck with a large fish and a small tank. 29G means this fish will not 'grow out' he will become stunted and immunosuppressed... Shocked Confused
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you read the first couple post I made, you'll notice I already informed him of the repercussions of having an oscar in a small tank. You'll also notice that he ignored all my comments and continued to house two oscars together ina 29, despite the fact I said they would kill one another. And look, one of them killed the other.

Hmm... Maybe people should listen to me more often?

Thanks Mogwai, for seeing my point.

Byez! Mad
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: