Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Update on Tiger oscars
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svendawgg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)1:41    Post subject: Update on Tiger oscars Reply with quote

(UPDATES AND PICTURES ARE ON PAGE 2)

This is the new tank for my tiger oscars. Basically their grow up tank as I have decided to put my cichlids in my 80 gallon tank. This tank is a 29 gallon tank. The only fish in the tank are 2 Oscars and a small Pleko. If you have any comments or advice on this tank it would be appreciated. Its looking pretty plain right now with just a few live plants, a rock, and a large piece of driftwood.

Last edited by svendawgg on 2005.05.15(Sun)19:23; edited 1 time in total
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, those two oscars are never going to "grow up" if they stay in that 29 gallon. Oscars can get the size of footballs even if their tank is too small. They won't grow to the size of their tank; they'll break your tank. If you want your other cichlids to live in the 80 gallon (which would be fine for two oscars) then take the oscars back to the store or buy them a bigger tank. If you don't do something about your fish, they will either die from stress, sickness, or territorial disputes. If they don't die, they will never live up to their full size potential and will die years short of their normal life span as stunted, unhealthy fish.

Byez! Sad
svendawgg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know they get to be the size of footballs, but what would be the point of having 2 1.5 inch fish in an 80 gallon tank? That would just be a waste of a tank. How about putting them in the 29 gallon tank until they get a little bigger, it will take at least a couple years for them to be even close to football size. Howabout some positive feedback on here once in a while eh. I'm sorry but your post is a little extreme. Keeping these fish in this tank for a while is in no way going to kill them. I got these fish as a pair, and they are doing quite well together, and you can't tell me that they are going to get sick in this tank. Did you read my post? It said grow up tank, meaning its not permanent. You also contradicted yourself by saying that they will die early as stunted unhealthy fish. But then earlier you said that they will not grow to the size of your tank. I come on this sight looking for ways to improve my tanks. Then you get some people that assume you have no idea what you are doing, and tell you that your making these fish suffer, and to take them back.
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of having two 1.5 inch fish in an 80 gallon? To make sure they survive and won't become sick or crowded during some of their growth years. Leaving them in there right now has the possibility to have a lasting effect if they are left in a small tank for a couple years (or until they get "bigger").

Also, my previous comment about stunting does not mean they will stop growing at a certain size. I definately did not mean that. What I meant by stunted is that their life span will be shortened (ie. they will die before they were meant to from stress or territorial disputes). Or, if you care to interpret stunted a different way, the fish would keep growing but since the tank is too small it's body would be stunted. Bent spines or humps might happen if your oscars are left to "grow up" in an area where they can't.

I always assume people don't know what they're doing. That way, I can give them advice that will help them to improve their tanks (which is what you say you use this site for). If we all thought everyone else knew what they were doing, we'd never get anything done and no one would ever be helped.

Generally, I can tell you these fish will get sick if left in a 29 gallon. Every person who walks through my pet shop door with an oscar/jack dempsey/south american cichlid problem says they have "juveniles in a 20-30 gallon tank until they get bigger, but they're always dying." Why are they dying? Because they are stressed from being in a small enclosure and their immune systems get screwed up and lose their effectiveness. Ever noticed how you get sick or feel like poo when you're stressed out? Same thing with your fish! If they are stressed, their entire body is going to suffer.

Would you agree with putting one oscar in a 10 gallon? How about a pleco in a ten gallon (keep in mind plecos can get as long if not longer than an oscar)? If you said no, then you're contradicting youself. If you disagree with an oscar and a pleco in a ten, you're basically doing the same thing to the fish you have right now. Each fish you have in your tank has roughly 10 gallons to itself. Not much swimming room for something the size of a football...

Positive feedback; I'm glad your other cichlids have an 80 gallon. Good job providing them with enough space and room to grow to their full potential.

Byez!! Evil or Very Mad
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry sven, but I must agree with sahara. if you do not want to have two 1.5" fish in an 80g waiting for them to grow, then oscars are not for you. I would have to suggest switching to another species that would be better for the way you wish to keep fish.
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to agree with sahara. Thats way too small a tank for oscars. I house my oscars in a 300 litre tank. I have seen places where oscars just go one banging at stuff when they don't have enough space to swim around which leads to injuries. Another suggestion that I wish to make is- try to add some nice back ground for the tank that will make it very colourful.

What do you feed your oscars? In a 29 gallon you don't have much of an option apart from the regular diet.

Mind you it does'nt take 2 years for your fish to grow up. I don't know who gave you that piece of information Shocked . If you feed them properly I won't be surprised if they grow 2 centimeters every month.
svendawgg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed the oscars frozen blood worms, and flakes. Occasionally I give them a goldfish to "play with". The tank has changed a bit. I did take some of your advice, the larger Oscar is the only fish in that tank right now. Besides the pleko, but I've got a problem with algae. The smaller fish was getting picked on pretty good. I was watching for signs of trouble, so as soon as I noticed anybody getting attacked, I took the weaker one to the pet store. Now I am going to try a planted oscar tank, just because I'm up to the challenge. I will post more pics as soon as I can. As far as the backdrop goes, I used to have one, but I found that the water leaks down the back side of the tank from the filter. It uses the backdrop as a way to drip down the glass, so I removed it. Anyways, ill post some pictures soon, what kind of plants should I use, and any other fish (small fish) that I should use for company? I understand that eventually they will get eaten, but I just would like something to keep with the oscar for company, and still keep the tank from being overstocked.
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You could actually stop water from dripping through your background by cutting it to shape. Until now water has been collecting somewhere and hence the dripping. Better still if you could put the background inside the tank. They stick on to the glass and hence no fuss with water dripping. Thats what I do with my tanks. It is a nature friendly plastic.

2. I don't understand how you get to have an algae problem despite the presence of a pleco in your tank. To my knowledge they control algae well. The other way to bring down algae is by adding snails to your tank. They control algae. But beware you might end up with a snail infestation.

3. Oscars generally don't like to much of decorations in their tank. They keep moving around stuff as they like. Make sure that you go for "potted" plants. They will easily uproot the plants other wise.

4. And what do you mean by a "planted oscar tank". Remember one thing never buy the fish and then think about the tank. By this frequent shifting you are stressing your fish. It is not helping you and your fish. I think you should have asked these questions to yourself before thinking about an "Oscar" - They grow big.

5. As far as company for an oscar goes - I would recommend loaches. Oscars never harm loaches. I have seen this over the years. Loaches act as good scavengers too. Generally they must be in a school of 3 or more.

6. You need to get atleast a 55 gallon tank if you really want to keep your fish happy and healthy. Since you say you want to rise upto the "challenge" - This is task one. Go for a nice spacious tank with the parameter that has been specified.

7. Refer to the gallery here. They give you truck loads of information on oscars. You need to take into account all these factors before you setup your "PLANTED OSCAR TANK".

Last edited by Indiaqualover on 2005.05.01(Sun)22:16; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ram man
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the people at petsmart said that then it is a big no no. oscars grow fast and huge! please just do the right thing and put them in the 80 if you have it!
puting an oscar in a 29 gallon would be like puting a baby in a bucket in my way of seeing it. the fish will be a lot happier if you do put them in an 80 gallon.

2 gallon
-blue and pink betta pinky ( yes after the friday movies
svendawgg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few plants in there right now with the oscar, he doesn't harm them too much. But the new ones are for sure going to be potted. He is staying in the 29 gallon tank. I'm for sure not putting a single Oscar in an 80 gallon tank when a 55 is good for a pair. I could see myself buying a 55 in a couple months and then putting the oscar in it though. I didn't know the backdrop could be inside the tank, but I suppose that would probably look a lot better than taping it to the outside eh. The algae problem I was talking about was before I got the pleko. All I was saying was that if I remove him, I don't want it to come back.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: