Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lonely Discus Fish - Stocking Suggestions
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boydy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)1:24    Post subject: Lonely Discus Fish - Stocking Suggestions Reply with quote

Hey there, I'm looking for some advice because I had 2 young Discus fish in a 180Litre community tank and unfortunately about a month ago I lost one from unknown causes (Probably pestered in it's sleep). I have since moved the remaining young discus into a smaller community tank to make room for new Bolivian Butterfly's, Pictus caty, and some common Gourami's. The Discus is in with a large range of smaller Tetras like neons, bleeding hearts, black widow, rosey, etc etc. The Discus now looks very lonely and I know they are not an extremely active fish but it is less active than it has been for some time, and I was wondering if Discus must be kept in pairs or more?? The fish is perfectly healthy however it has been behaving in a very boring way, which is unusual for this particular fish. Any comments would be great!

Also, I am looking for some stocking suggestions with my 180Litre community tank. Now that it has been setup and running smoothly for some months, I am slowly adding stock till I get a very active display tank. Currently I have:
4 Angels - 3 Marble, 1 Gold
2 Bolivian Butterfly's - I love these fish!
2 Gourami's - 1 pearl, 1 blue (unknown)
2 Blue Ram's (babies)
6 Bristlenose Catfish
1 Khuli Loach
1 Pictus Catfish

Other than the many common Tetras I could add to this mix I am looking for something a bit different and interesting and once all the medium to large fish are added then ill fill any space with schooling Tetras or something similar. Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions of stock that would suit this tank.

Thanks,
Boydy.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Boydy,

The problem, in my eyes, is probably that your tank is very overstocked, which is causing a myriad of problems for your remaining discus (and probably contributed to the death of the first).

Still, before getting into the nitty gritty of how to fix it, here's a couple of questions that will go a long way towards figuring out what might be troubling your discus (though it could simply be space).

What are your parameters? (temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, gh and KH)
When you got the discus did you quarantine them at all? If so, how did you do it?
When you feed, does the discus get its fair share of food? (I only ask because nearly all of the non cats you have listed are much more aggressive eaters than the typical discus)
Do you have the scientific name of the Bolivian Butterfly? I can't find a thing on it. Is it anamolochromis (haplochromis) thomasi, the Butterfly cichlid? Does it look like this?

Jake
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)8:08    Post subject: Re: Lonely Discus Fish - Stocking Suggestions Reply with quote

Boydy wrote:
The Discus now looks very lonely and I know they are not an extremely active fish but it is less active than it has been for some time, and I was wondering if Discus must be kept in pairs or more??

They are absolutely fine alone and in a community settig, that's the way they should be kept. It is your imagination that the fish is lonely.

I have been doing some heavy duty research into this question recently.
When very young, Discus school together.
As they mature they no longer do so.
In the flooded forest they are often filmed swimming around alone or in pairs as often as in small groups.

During the collection season they are found in schools probably for protection from predators in shallower water.

So it would apear that some assumptions on these fish were made... IMHO,
keep your Discus by itself. With Discus, if it ain't broke, leave it be.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
32Bit_Fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many people believe that discus should kept in group and I believe water quality and food are the main reasons that make discus stressed. Also discus need enough tank space to swim about. Keep discus in a small tank is not recommanded and IMO discus don't make a good community fish.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)15:45    Post subject: Re: Lonely Discus Fish - Stocking Suggestions Reply with quote

Boydy wrote:
I have since moved the remaining young discus into a smaller community tank ...The Discus is in with a large range of smaller Tetras like neons, bleeding hearts, black widow, rosey, etc etc.
Boydy, in reading 32Bit_Fish's response, I realized you never mentioned what size tank the Discus is now in, nor did you mention how many tetras are in there as well.

I still stand by my opinion that Discus are fine as a community fish and are perfectly fine alone, but the lack of info on your tank has given me slight cause for concern.

Can you post tank dimensions and tank mates please?
Boydy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.29(Fri)23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh so many questions to answer... I'm sorry but my internet has been down for a few days.

Temp: 28 C
pH: 6.4 - 6.6
Ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0

Firstly, I think the problem is solved! I had been undergoing a change in food from 'Tetra Colour Bits' to a high nutrient flake food, and it hadn't occured to be that this may be the cause. I was doing this because some of the "bits" were too big for the smaller tetras. However I started feeding a bit of both again and did a big water change and everything seems fine now.
The tank is a 2foot bay-front which is about 65Litres or 17.2 G. I am only carrying small amounts of each tetra and in total there is about 15. In fact the discus which is only approx 4-5cm in diamter is the centre piece.

Quote:
Do you have the scientific name of the Bolivian Butterfly? I can't find a thing on it. Is it anamolochromis (haplochromis) thomasi, the Butterfly cichlid? Does it look like this?

benedictj - The scientific name for the Bolivian is 'Microgeophagus Altifpinosa' I was unable to find a suitable picture online to send you but if you PM me I am happy to email you pictures of mine! Also the Thomasi is the African Butterfly.

OK I think that answers everyone's questions... I'm still interested in any stocking suggestions for my larger 3 foot tank too if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks again,
Boydy
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boydy wrote:
The tank is a 2foot bay-front which is about 65Litres or 17.2 G. I am only carrying small amounts of each tetra and in total there is about 15. In fact the discus which is only approx 4-5cm in diamter is the centre piece.
, glad I asked.In a 17.5g tank definately only a single Discus. Do not add any more fish. With lots of live plants and good lighting I'd say the tank will be nice. I wouldn't expect the Discus to reach full potential in size in a small tank with a full bioload. Water changes will be your best friend.
Good luck with the Discus.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: