Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Copper Tube in tank - bad idea?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourPalCM
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)17:52    Post subject: Copper Tube in tank - bad idea? Reply with quote

My Dad is a plumbing guru, and set up a 40G tank in his basement, and to make draining water out of the tank really easy, he rigged up copper tubing that hooks up and over the back of the tank and is submerged about half way. He then put a thing in-line that when pressed will start the ciphoning of the tank. From there the pipe is fed discretely into the sump-pump. The copper tube IN the tank is shielded by a bunch of plants so you can't really see it.

Having a copper pipe IN the tank sounds like a bad idea. Is it bad, or am wrong? I really think he should change it to something PVC just to be safe. Agreed?
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I would change the pipe to something inert like PVC.

The copper piping could eventually deteriorate, leading to Cu+ /Cu+2 ions in the water. Copper in small amounts usually will turn plants to mush, and are often harmful to scaleless/small scaled fish (Loaches come to mind)
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: