Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sick and dying fish!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farr_jess_123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)14:21    Post subject: Sick and dying fish!!! Reply with quote

I really need some help!!! I bought this dwarf gourami. he's in a 10g tank with 3 guppies and 2 platies and 1 albino cory. for a couple of days now he's been almost laying on the bottom of the tank. if I check with a net to see if he's dead, he swims away, but he looks like he is having some trouble balancing himself.
Please help! I really don't want to loose this fish!!! Crying or Very sad
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what are the parameters of your tank? Did you cycle the tank prior to adding fish? How long have yuo had the tank set up?

These things will help figure out what may be wrong. As well, I would like to mention that your stock is a bit odd.. I don't know much about platies, but I do know that cory cats should be in groups of at least 3. So maybe once you figure out the problem with your ill fish, and fix it, I would consider getting more cory's.

As well, are the guppies males or females, or a mix?
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I cycled my tank. I am getting more cories really soon 2. aslo I've had my tank setup for about a year now. personally I think the problem is that he is outnumbered. they beat him to food, and they move way faster than him. he might feel uncomfortable by that. I have 2 female guppies and 1 male
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm.. well I don't know. Is he a newer fish? How long have you had him?

Again, do you know the parameters of the tank?

The gourami shouldn't be having problems when getting food. If he wants it, he'll get it.. so I don't think that is the problem.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had him very long? Did you put him in a quarentine tank before putting him in your main tank if not he is probably pretty stressed.

He could also been sick before you had gotten him. If you haven't had him for very long, you might take him back to where you got him and check to see if any of the others are acting the same way. In any case I think I would quarentine him, and maybe someone else might jump in as to what meds you might try.
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has your tank been cycled? Just because your tank is cycled doesn't mean something isn't out of whack? You should test your ammo, nitrite, nitrate and check your temperature. Then post your water parameters and history of the fish.
Albino cories are more solitary than the other cories. Mine is, and I have read posts of other people saying the same.
farr_jess_123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK people!!!! Listen my tank was cycled for like 2 months!!! we needn't worry about that!!!

I've had my gourami for about 2 weeks. And what do you mean by parameters?

Also, I don't have enough time and money to go out buying all those testing kits. I'm only 12. Also, when I picked him out all the fish were healthy in that tank.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done any water changes since the cycle? It needs to be done at least weekly.

I would suggest that you do a 50% water change with water treated for chlorine and such, and if he looks like he is doing a little bit better, do it every couple of days till he acts just fine.

Also, I would like to say that everyone on this board is here to help, but it makes it harder to do so when you can't or won't tell us the information that is needed to make it easier to decide a way to help.

The questions that we ask is to make it easier for everyone concerned and not just to give you any kind of info that may not be what is needed.

Just because the tank had cycled it doesn't mean that the nitrite and ammonia doesn't or hasn't gone up. It will always change when you have fish in the tank. That is why you need to do tests to keep the water quality right. If you can't do the tests take a sample to the fish store and they will test it for you. If you can't do that, just keep up with the water changes and it will help.
farr_jess_123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm, well, this is no longer a problem Crying or Very sad
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)11:15    Post subject: I don't think you hav 2 worry Reply with quote

My one dwarf gourami has done that all her life and is perfectly healthy. Dwarf gouramis do that for no apparent reason, but it gives new owners a big scare.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: