Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Oto Is Dying
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)13:09    Post subject: Oto Is Dying Reply with quote

I came home to find one of my otos, my smaller of the three, lying weird on the bottom of the tank. Thinking he was dead, I poked at him a bit, and he zoomed off a little ways, twirling like a ballerina, collapsed back on the bottom, then curled up in a ball.

All the other fish are fine. I just did a 25% water change on Sunday.

Is there anything I can do for this little fellow?

Update: Nevermind... he passed away.
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flurry,

It sounds as if he has 'swimbladder disease', probably caused by an injury from another fish maybe or decor, by the way he is curled up.

There is a good med by 'Interpet' for swimbladder problems, you could try this. Also try 10% daily water changes. I really do dislike this disease as usually once the fish is as bad as this they can't be saved.

I did have an Angelfish, Maxine, who about amonth ago had an extended stomach and floating sideways on top of the water.I was devastated as none of my 5 Angelfish or Discus have ever had a disease (touchwood). I quickly placed her in a quarantine tank with no filter and had changed the water 100% that day luckily, and added swimbladder and internal bacteria med by Interpet.

The next morning she was managing to keep herself down on the tank bottom and stomach had reduced greatly.
Within a week she was back in her old tank and feeling great. I was so pleased. Give it a go and hopefully it may be OK.

Good Luck.

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Now I'll know what to do in case it happens again. He was fine in the morning, but when I got home from school, I noticed him like that, posted here, left home for an hour, then discovered he had died.
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my remaining otos is beginning to show the same symptoms. I know you can't get that specific med here, so what should I do?

Also, how do otos get SBD? I know a Betta can get it from overfeeding... my otos all came from the same LPS at the same time. Could that be how they got SBD?

Also, since my otos are deciding to die off, I don't know whether or not to replace them, or look into a small pleco (there are some that only get 4" don't they? I've head them mentioned but don't see any in the gallery...) but that would require an hour trip from here to the city, where I will be going in two weeks for bowling provincials that starts at 5 in the evening... that will be a problem because I will be done bowling around the time the stores close...
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otos are little heartbreakers. They often seem to start off fine and then decline after a few days or weeks. I have one now who survived two others and is going strong. It seems like once they get established they do much better but are still sensitive fish. How long has your tank been set up? I've had much better luck now that my tank is past the one year mark.
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set my tank up the 1st of January, cycled it, and got my fish mid-February. My otos were one of the first in the tank, since it was full of brown algae. Now I'm down to one, and am debating whether or not to pick one up tomorrow.
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two ways to look at it. The first is that your remaining oto may do better with a companion. The folks at my LFS explained that otos are more effective in two and threes. The other way to look at it is to wait and see how your oto does over the next week or two. Your tank probably won't be overrun by algae in that short a time. If he's doing okay then you could either get another oto or the pleco when you go into the city. How's your stocking situation? Do you have space for an "extra" oto, or do you need to choose between the otos and a pleco?
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to choose between otos and a pleco, and the pleco may be difficult to get, unless I wait until the summertime...

I started out with 6 black neons, 3 otos, 3 bronze cories, and 1 betta in a 10 gallon. Then my two otos passed away. The only reason I got three otos in the first place was in case one decided to die off on me, so I'm not sure whether or not I want to add one more or two.
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.otocinclus.com/

maybe you can find some useful information here
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I did check it out earlier... then decided to post my question on Planet Catfish. According to them, otos cannot get SBD... so it was either ammonia/nitrite poisoning, an unknown disease, or they just simply starved... though I do give them algae wafers.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: