Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filter maintenance
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyboy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)8:09    Post subject: Filter maintenance Reply with quote

This is my first post so hope it hasn't come up before somewhere. I have a 40 gallon tank and have changed from an internal filter to an Eheim 2224 external. What I want to know is how often should I clean the filter and replace the media. I was told by one shop that the bio media only needs to be replaced 2-3 times a year and cleaning and replacing of filters done every 2-3 months. This just sounded like a long time considering I had to clean my internal filter every 2 weeks.

I'd also like to check that my tank isn't overstocked. I currently have:

11 neon tetra
10 glowlight tetra
6 zebra danio
5 neon rainbow
2 white spotted plecs
5 japonica shrimps

The tank is about 30% planted but rapidly growing.

Thanks.
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to answer your stocking question, as most people have different ideas, but I'd say that your stocking levels are fine, compared to some other people's. (I.e. trying to fit Oscars in a 10g, etc)

Personally, I've never replaced my biomedia that came with the Eheim. I just give it a few good rinses in some siphoned out tank water, and swirl it around, and that's pretty much it.

Cleaning your filter...it depends really. 2-3 months is okay, I guess. I personally change the filter floss pretty often (maybe 2-3 weeks) and then rinse out the biomedia on a monthly/bi-monthly basis. But then it's because I have a planted tank and lots of gunk gets sucked up into the filters from time to time Smile

In a lightly stocked tank, you could probably get away with more infrequent filter maintenance (though it doesn't mean you don't have to do it!)
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, you will really need to see how it looks. Maybe you could open it up at about one month to see if it actually needs cleaning. There is so much more media in a canister, that it really can go 2 or 3 or 4 months without a cleaning. Whether it is a month or 4 though will depend on your tank and feeding habits.

I tend to check my canisters every other month. On big tanks I have two canisters, over 50 gallons or so. Smaller has one canister. The fish only tank really doesn't need cleaning every two months unless I am overfeeding. The Planted tanks really will need cleaning at 2 months, particularly if there are fine leaved plants and if I've been pulling stuff up a lot. As I've gotten rid of the stem plants and gone to slower growing rooted plants, there is less need to clean the canisters I find.

But the key is in the volume of media. You've got liters of media instead of the small area of a HOB unit.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: