Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What is this white stuff?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qued
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)5:28    Post subject: What is this white stuff? Reply with quote

Aquarium: 20l (5 Gal) w 14w fluorescent, filtration and heater, started 1,5 years ago
Fish: Sparkling Gourami, Bronze Cory, Albine Cory
Invertebrates: one yellow snail (Ampullaria?)
One day after changing 5l (a bit more than 1 gal) of water I got this:

What is that?
StormRavin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I found the below stated info at the following site:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/PlantedTksSubWebIndex/dispestpltfaqs.htm

"
White mold on plant
Hello,
I'm a novice aquarium enthusiast and have maintained a fresh water aquarium for about 2 1/2 to 3 years. I have had live plants in my tank and never had any problem with them.

<3 years with a planted tank with no problems... Sounds to me you should upgrade you "novice" title.>

Recently (about 7 weeks ago), I went from a 10-gallon tank to a 35-gallon tank. (Fresh water.) Since the change, one of my older, more reliable plants has what looks like an enormous amount of white mold around it. There was some of this on the other newer plants (after about 3 weeks), but siphoning seemed to take care of the mold on the newer plants.

<This is actually a Fungus that is regularly seen in freshwater aquariums.>

My problem is, my old plant keeps getting the mold, no matter how much siphoning I do. And now, what's worse, it seems to be spreading out. It is white and flat, sort of like cotton.

<That description really sums up what Fungus looks like, If it was a large fuzzy look it would be a true fungus. The fungus you have I tend to find is easier to treat then the true fungus. I have never had a bad case in any of my planted tanks, the only problems I had were resolved by me adding some more current to the water and increasing the aeration (with an airstone and air pump) This seemed to cut down on the fungus problem. For your case it sounds like it might be a bit sever and medication should be considered. I would look at products by Jungle, like their "Fungus Eliminator". Read the package and make sure that this product won't harm any of the plants you have in your tank. I was also told that Aquatronics makes a product that helps with Fungus in the tanks. It's name is "Fungus Plus", and I haven't personally used it, but was told by multiple people that it works. I would do a bit more research online and see what you can find before jumping into it.>

I've had food that rotted on the plants before, and that mold seems to have a "fuzzy" texture like the question asked in your Q & A section, but this is NOT the same.

<Make sure you don't have extra food in the water, the extra nutrients can help feed growths like that. And be sure to keep up with the water changes to ensure the plants and fish stay healthy. I suggest you look for a rather nice book that was suggested to me for my planted tank. It's called "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist" by Diana L. Walstad. I'm sure you can find it at a local book store or library. If not then there are some rather impressive online forums specifically dealing with Planted aquariums, such as www.AquaPlant.com. Do a search online and I'm sure you will find a forum that you will enjoy. Many of the online forums can also give you suggestions for books to look up.>

Do you know what this is and whether or not I can correct this, or do I have to trash the plant? And more importantly, is this mold harmful to my fish (guppies; tetras; white clouds & an algae eater) ????

<Fish can become infected with Fungus, and other problems like Columnaris, which is the white slime on their body. If the conditions are right for this fungus to grow on plants than it can be able to effect the fish. If you add the medicines to the water it should help remove the problem.>"

Hope that helps!
Qued
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, StormRavin!
The information you posted is indeed very interesting. But it seems that my case is a bit different. I got the white stuff in a place where water current is rather strong. And - does fungus spread so fast, in hours? Yesterday I removed that stuff and today the tank is clean again.
KrissyW
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)19:33    Post subject: White Fungus Reply with quote

Hi Qued,
I am having a similar problem with my brand new 10g - white cotton-like tufts on my plants and mopani wood.
I had just recently added a large quantity of hornwort to this tank, which I suspect had some goldfish eggs in it that were growing a fungus on them and is the possible reason for the fungus or mold. I am also looking for a solution to this problem.
My local LFS suggested that the problem might be related to water-quality (it was also mentioned to me that adding a stronger current would help take care of the 'fungus'). Did a 25% water change tonight but I also added a 'Fungus Clear' fizz tab from Jungle Labs (safe for fish and plants, or so the box says) just to see if it would help clear up the problem.
What are your water parameters? I can't image that this is the problem because it sounds like you are doing frequent water changes. Maybe you should try a fungus remover...or let my tank be test and I will let you know what happens in the next few days? KrissyW
Qued
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrissyW
Thanks for answering.
I don't know exact water parameters as I haven't measured them recently. But I guess that I have ammonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates somewhere about 5-10 ppm. I do weekly 5l water changes and one 10l change once a month. Fungus remover - well, I am trying to avoid any medication in aquarium if it is not deadly necessary.
Couldn't the white stuff problem be connected with the snail? I've recently read about the occasion when similar white stuff appeared one day after adding ampullarias to fish tank.
KrissyW
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)13:43    Post subject: White Stuff In Aquarium Reply with quote

Hi Qued, I can understand why you don't want to add any meds to your tank...I don't like to do this either. The nice thing is that there are no fish in my tank right now, so I wasn't so hesitant.
You could be absolutely right about the white stuff being the effect of adding snails, especially taking into consideration that it wouldn't be the first time that I introduced snails into one of my tanks through new plants (the hornwort that I added a week or so ago). How about you? Is your snail new to the tank?
Unfortunately, the most accessible information that I found on the Internet regarding this problem was more in relation to fungus on fish and not on decorations and plants.
I will keep you posted on my progress. KrissyW
Qued
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the oddity - the snail is in tank for about 6 months now. Smile
Qued
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the oddity - the snail is in tank for about 6 months now. Smile
M249spence
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote