Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Filter Set-Up Question - All help welcome! :D
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)4:10    Post subject: New Filter Set-Up Question - All help welcome! :D Reply with quote

I have a 150 litre tank with 9 baby mollies, a kissing gourami and a clown loach.

I have had a hydor prime 20 (600lph) canister filter running for 3 months, admitidley with old filter material in it.. it is fairly gunky in there.

So I decided for good filtration to buy another canister which is a AquaPro 4 basket canister filter (1500lph). The new filter has now been running for a week, I have since removed the carbon (charcoal) the media is stacked as follows from the bottom to top;

Bottom - Double layer of Synthetic Floss
2nd Bskt - Ceramic Noodles w/ filter wool on top
3rd Bskt - Ceramic Noodles w/ filter wool on top
Top - Tripple layer of Synthetic Floss

The whole idea of the new filter is to provide much better biological and mechanical filtering.

My question is how long do I have to wait before there is enough bacteria in the new filter for me to unplug the old one and give it a through clean?.

I would like to replace all the media in the old filter, but I've seen this is not advisable unless I wash the new media in the old media's waste water (even then I'm dubious has to how it will transfer).

I'm sure others have done this before, so please offer your experience so that my fishies don't have to suffer for my ignorance Smile
asaint
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that struck me about your media packing order, is you have filter floss as the first thing the water hits. Now, don't get me wrong, it will work. However, a better packing order would be;

coarse mechanical filter media
bio-media
Fine filter floss

The reason you might want to avoid using a fine filter media first is it will clog quickly. This forces you to do maintenance more often.

Best of luck,
Asaint
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)8:05    Post subject: transferring bacteria Reply with quote

All you need to do is to take some of the media out of the old filter and put it into the bottom of the new filter. If there is a sponge athat will fit temporarily, move it to the bottom basket by itself. Let the new filter run a day or two, the bacteria will be forced from te overcrowded old media to the underpopulated new media by the water flow.

If the old filter is gunky, clean it, Gunk is never a good thing.
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would follow asaint's advice on the order of the media. Having the filter floss on the bottom means that it will filter almost everything from the water, and it will get clogged very fast. This will force you to clean the filter much more often, and because the filter floss is on the bottom, you'll have to take out everything just to reach it.

As for your fish load, I'm a bit wary of keeping only 1 Clown Loach in a 40g aquarium, as they prefer to be in groups and need a rather large swimming space (I've seem recommendations of 55g and up, but I prefer the larger 75g and up)
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!

When you say pack coarse mechanical media in the bottom what would you suggest? - the reason I put the floss in the bottom (not wool, but synthetic aircon type floss) is because I have no other media apart from filter wool, ceramic noodles & carbon (which I do not want to use).

As for the old media in the new canister - I don't want to open it up unless I'm going to clean it properly, it's very gunky in there and I fear if I open it up I'll have to pull out most of the gunk/media which will kill the bacteria?

Lastly, the clown loach is about 6cm long and he came that size with the tank, as did the gourami - should I just trade him in for a few smaller loaches? - I love loaches but don't want to hinder them.

Thanks again Smile
asaint
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific on which coarse material to use. Find below a list of coarse materials;

Coarse sponges
Eheim Ehfifix (one box will last you forever - green easter egg grass)
Eheim Ehfimech (hollow ceramic noodles)

I notice Hydor sells something called "Coarse Floss". That might work depending upon how fine or coarse it is.

Personally, I'm fond of Eheim Ehfimech (ceramic noodles) as the first stage mechanical filter. when I open my canisters and clean out that level - gunk just flows out.

Best thing is coarse mechanical filter material can be rinsed and resused for a very long time. Think of it as a one time buy.

Best of luck,
Asaint
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks again - I will go for another basket of ceramic noodles in the bottom - I think I have a coarse sponge @ the bottom, well it's airconditioning sponge type material.

The tank is crystal clear at the moment, I just hope the synthethic sponge thingie at the bottom is'nt too dirty already! Wink
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)21:58    Post subject: Clownloaches Reply with quote

Clownloaches prefer to be in groups or a pair it does not matter if they are different sizes.This is important as clownloaches are social animals. Watch out on your kissing gourami as they can be real bullies to other fish I have four clownloaches in various sizes and they are fine with each other.

from Josh
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that Smile

I did have two, 1 mysteriously died along with my 6 barbs when I introduced the new filter.

Yesterday I bought another clown loach, I did'nt realise they cost so much @ $9 each. He is about a 5th the size of my current one and after being introduced to the tank he went straight to his own kind.

The bigger loach now displays more and is less timid that he has another of his own kind in the tank.

Thanks for the advice tho!
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh forgot to mention...

I have also repacked the media - I bought some bio balls to put in the bottom section and took the filter floss out. It had only been in there a week but had accumalated quite a lot of gunk.. yum!

So it's bio balls, ceramic noodles, ceramic noodles, then filter floss / wool.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: