Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
suggestions on pmdd
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bash
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)18:41    Post subject: suggestions on pmdd Reply with quote

OK I have a 125gal tall 5ft long. pressurized co2 with pH monitor 375watts of lighting heavily planted. have been following Redfield ratio for about a month now once I noticed green spot algae got tired of testing so I started using the barr report estimative index for about two weeks now with great improvment but I have been using commercial formulas to much $$$$$$. I have been dosing kent nitro+ 20ml's (a 5mgl increase) kent phos+ 20ml's (a .25mgl increase) kent K 20ml's (mgl?) on days 1,3,5,&7 and on days 2,4,6 I add 20ml's flourish and 5ml's seachem iron. on day one after water change I only add 10 ml's nitro because tap is high in nitrates. based on this I was just looking for suggestion on what I should dose using csm+b, MgSo4+7H2O, KH2PO4, and KNO3 that I ordered from GregWatson.com. keeping in mind that at current I have green spot algae that seems to be getting better and I think my java ferns are suffering from iron defeciency. my peramiters are pH 7.0, GH 12dg, KH 8dg, ammonia 0, nitrite <0.3mgl, nitrate 5ppm except after water change then it goes up to 10ppm, phosphate .25ppm. using chuck's calculater I think I have a good idea where to start. But I was interested in seeing what you all had to suggest
thank you for your time
bash
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah I was wondering do you guys dose this stuff dry or mix it for my needs I am thinking dry would be easier just curious
Fome
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture please Smile

-sorry it wasn't relevant to your post-
bash
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to post a pic and have a few good ones but I am unsure of how to do it. I understand what this web sites needs but if someone could direct me to another site that I might be able to put a pic on to link to that would be great. thanks for the intrest fome
bash
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here is a pic of my tank this pic is about 2 weeks old and I had just added Alternanthera reineckii in the center and the tiger lotus front left and both have started to fill in

http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=420

Last edited by bash on 2005.04.26(Tue)17:48; edited 1 time in total
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

KNO3 and K2SO4 can be dosed dry in most tanks. I still prefer to mix a solution for the KH2PO4 and Plantex and the Iron as the dry amounts are pretty small and small errors can lead to big problems. I cover how to mix solutions on my web site.

Semper Fi
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)8:34    Post subject: I'm hijacking this post! Reply with quote

OK, since this thread is re: PMDD, I have a question.

My tank is 9G, I have 30W lighting for 10 hrs daily. I use Sera Floranette A iron root tabs and I add 5 ml Hagen iron-rich liquid fert after every WC, approx. 25% every fortnight. NO3 is < 5ppm, pH is 7, KH between 30 and 50ppm (I've been peat filtering but have stopped that while I figure out how to set up my DIY CO2 properly).

So... my tank is fairly small, and so far, so good. I've ordered some premix from gregwatson (taking ages to arrive... damn post) and I was wondering if someone could suggest a good dosing schedule for me (when, exactly how much, etc.). If I continue to use my roots tabs, would I need to add another iron-rich fert?
Plantbrain
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bash,

For a 125 gal w/375w/light, tank do this:
40-50% weekly water change.
Clean tank, algae, prune, clean filters etc first, then do the water change!

Add:
KNO3 3/4 teaspoon 3x a week
KH2PO4 1/6 teaspoon 3x a week
Traces: I like TMG ior Floruish over CMS personally, 20-25mls 3x a week

CO2: make sure there is about 30ppm in there all the time.

Clare
Now for a 9 gal:
Do a 50% water change weekly
Make certain you get the CO2 correct(enough) and consider adding Excel also.

Add:
KNO3 1/8 teaspoon 2x a week
KH2PO4, take a 1/4 teaspoon, divide by 4 equal parts, then take one of those and divide 4x again.
Add that 2x a week
Traces: add 2mls 2-3x a week.

Nothing will build up since you do large frequent water changes, so no testing for nutrients is needed, this is simple.

So what is left?
CO2, CO2 and CO2................

Never grow complacent about CO2, if you see any lull in plant growth or algae, look at CO2 first.

Regards,
Tom Barr

3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
subscribe@BarrReport.com Get connected
www.BarrReport.com Get the information
bash
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks plantbrain for the tips and the comment about the redfield ratio on Laskey's post I have been following that and my gs algae seems to be getting worse and I have been hesitant on adding po4
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta very much Plantbrain!

Re: CO2, I've been running it about 2 weeks and have noticed some improvement in my alternanthera; but I'm worried about total efficiency, as at night I simply unhook the tubing from where I feed itinto my power filter. In effect, my CO2 is pumping into the room at night - seems wasteful. My boyfriend suggested just getting a tap- T-piece to close it off, but I must admit I'm kinda worried about yukky yeasty mix exploding all over my kitchen! How can I make my CO2 more efficient.

Oh, and Flourish isn't available in South Africa Sad Only Hagen brands, so internet (uber-expenseive for shipping and import duties) is only option. Sigh.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: