Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
CO2 tanks...
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w5yw5y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)15:19    Post subject: CO2 tanks... Reply with quote

Helo guys,
I was wondering what do you guys feel/think about the price of a 5 lbs. CO2 tank for $99.95?? I'm about to buy one. What do you guys think about this price? Fair? Too much? Good deal? Do you guys think I should just go bigger?
w5yw5y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

should I have said pressurized CO2? Hehe, maybe I confused ya guys.
so can I get any help? hehe thanks Wink
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices seem to vary widely around the US and obviously in other countries too. But, $100 for a 5 lb. tank seems a bit steep to me. In my area a 5 lb. steel cylinder filled is $65 and a 10 lb. steel cylinder filled is $75. Personally I prefer the 10 lb tank because the height is about the same, initial cost is close, cost to refill is about the same, BUT it lasts twice as long between refills. Another preference of mine is to "buy" from a welding supply company that uses an exchange policy. This way you never have to pay for a new hydrostatic test stamp every five years, the exchange cylinders always have a current stamp. Obviously, if choosing the exchange type of service you'd never want to initially buy an aluminum tank.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Hampton wrote:
Another preference of mine is to "buy" from a welding supply company that uses an exchange policy. This way you never have to pay for a new hydrostatic test stamp every five years, the exchange cylinders always have a current stamp. Obviously, if choosing the exchange type of service you'd never want to initially buy an aluminum tank.

Helo Steve Smile,
thank you for your reply Smile. I thought about getting a higher lbs. tank. like a 10 or 15 lbs. like you recommend me. and it is for the same reason too. more long lasting, refill price does not differ too much, and cost just a little bit more as well. so, is your suggestion for me is that you believe I should get the tank at a welding supply company?

and what does this 'exchange policy' can do for me? I'm just not sure Confused

and what is a hydrostatic test? and the stamp as well. I guess it has something to do with the tank, but not quite sure what it is for.

and if I do get a tank from the welding company. how can I know that I can use this for the tank of the pressurized CO2. like how do I check it. and how can I know that I can control it to only let out 1 bubble per sec. and things like that. thank you!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: