Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
snails exiting the tank to lay eggs
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akbruskin
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)9:39    Post subject: snails exiting the tank to lay eggs Reply with quote

I have 2 gold inca snails in a 20 gallon tank that keep crawling up the sides of the tank, laying eggs on the outside of the filter, or on the outside walls of the aquarium. They end up on the floor in front of the aquarium, where I quickly put them back in the morning when I find them.

They are in a tank with a school of cherry barbs, 3 cory cats, a batik loach, red-tailed shark, and a small algae eater.

I understand the snails want to lay eggs above the water line, but there is plenty of room above the water line while still within the tank! Why go outside the tank to lay them? How many times can they 'commit suicide' and rehydrate once back in the tank?

I am feeling quite guilty, but am unsure why they keep doing it!

thanks for any help!
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do that just looking around too! They're curious. If it's egg laying only they need approx 1 1/2-2". Even if you think there's room that's a good distance and you may want to lower it more. You could come back days later and they'll make it after being out, the only real problem is if they hit something on the way down or on the floor. In nature they'll go through droughts(sp?) of months long and will just live in the hard mud areas til the water comes back.
akbruskin
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)20:30    Post subject: snails rock! Reply with quote

okay, I was already becoming amazed by my snails' actually speedy pace of moving about the tank Very Happy

now they're curious explorers too! Shocked

Snails rock!!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: