Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
WHAT THE.... ???
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)6:34    Post subject: WHAT THE.... ??? Reply with quote

This is very strange... I checked the breeding tank (platies) this morning hoping for some platy fry, and found something I was NOT expecting. Baby snails! LOTS of baby snails stuck to the sides of the tank! Now, before I go looking like an idiot - no these are not hitchhickers. There are only plastic plants in this tank. I have an apple snail and a ramshorns snail. The ramshorn I've had for three months, the apple snail for one month.
I tried to take a picture, but they're so small, on the sides of the glass that the camera wouldn't focus. They are transparent, the shells are shaped like elbow macaroni. Any ideas, theories? The two couldn't have mated and produced viable young... Could the apple have been??? Crap, I'm lost for ideas, anyone?
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destany, did the eggs look like this: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=21004 ??
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I never saw any eggs, but the only time I looked, I was looking at the platy, not really paying attention to anything else.

Here, I did manage to take a couple pictures of one on the back glass. It's not great quality, but the snail is only about a millimeter wide.

Maybe that will help?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramshorn snail are hermaphroditic. They can breed with only one in the tank. Smile
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow! Thanks! That explains it, I was just sorta thrown for a while there!
Hasi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the pond snail eat the ramshorn? Coz I had a baby ramshorn (dunno how, live plants I guess like the other snails) and the pond snail was eating it!!!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: