Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new to plants
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)20:04    Post subject: new to plants Reply with quote

Hi all, I am new to planted tanks but I am wanting to try my hand at some.

Here Is what I have.

A 10 gallon tank with fine sand substrate. 2 penguin bio-wheel minis. 50 watt heater. 20 watts of flourescent light.

What kind of plants could I have with the current lighting and no CO2.

Thanks in advance.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)20:36    Post subject: lower light Reply with quote

Try the lower light plants, although you have 20 watts over 10 gallons, the reflector is not worth anything in the standard hood and so you can't expect too much. Adding CO2 with a Nutrifin/Hagen Co2 system will help the plants to use the existing light more effectively accourding to some research I've read.

Any of the smaller crypts will be a good start, Java ferns of several varieties, a lot of the standard stem plants will work also. Mostly keep away from swords that are too large.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, 2 minis will make way too much current for a planted tank. Heck even one makes too much current for my planted 10g. Why do you have that much filtration on such a small tank?
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the current bother the plants? Cause them to uproot, or damage them in some way?

With both filters running full on the sand doesn't even get disturbed. When the red zebra was in there I had an AC mini that would cause massive current. It would dig a hole in the sand.

Oh, I don't really have a reason for that much filtration other than I already had the filter sitting around. Nothing like overfiltering for clear water.
StormRavin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 12 gallon Eclipse system that offers a small bit of current and it is also a low light(1.3 wpg), low tech(no CO2) planted aquarium and so far I have the following plants:
Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)
Moneywort (Bacopa Monnieri)
Anacharis (Egeria Densa)
Dwarf Anubias (Anubias Nana)
Cabomba (Cabomba Caroliniana)

All of which are doing great in my tank! The Java Fern is sprouting more, the Anubias just bloomed for the first time! I am cutting back the Anacharis and Cabomba about every other water change! So I would definitely offer these plants as a good low light setup!
Hope this helps!
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

StormRavin wrote:

All of which are doing great in my tank! The Java Fern is sprouting more, the Anubias just bloomed for the first time! I am cutting back the Anacharis and Cabomba about every other water change! So I would definitely offer these plants as a good low light setup!
Hope this helps!

I've always thought of Cabomba as a high light plant, as it never grew well in my low light setups
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: