Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
what am I going to do....
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)17:42    Post subject: what am I going to do.... Reply with quote

Like you proabualy know I have a 55 gallon with an oscar. Today I went to get some rams for my 10 gallon with my dad and he got some jewel cichlids. I've seen them before but I never really cared for them. But when I was there I saw a lot of really cool african cichlids. And my oscar is cool and all but hes messy and I tried putting fish in there and I don't think anything can go in with him and I would like more fish(prefrably cichlids). I might give one last try on fish with my oscar but if I don't like them or they just don't work I'm getting rid of him. Any sugestions? If not well I'm most likly going to start up an african cichlid tank, but I have a few questions:

1) My water is about 6.5 and I know most if not all african cichlids thrive with higher pH's. How could get it higher and to stay higher for them iof there arnt any for that pH.

2) I don't know if I want Lake Malawi or Lake Tanganyika. If it makes a diffence my tanks dimentions are 48"L 18"T and 12"W.
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have no suggestions for fish but for our pH you should probably get a pH Buffer to get it to stay where you want it to.
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

a pH buffer? whats that I don't think I've ever heard of that? is it expensive and how does it work
DarthMuggsy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pH buffer is usually a powder or liquid that you can buy at most pet/aquarium stores that you can buy to help raise or lower pH to fit your particular fish's needs. Stuff like peat moss, whole and crushed sea shells, and driftwood will also affect the pH, as well as some stones like limestone. If you want to keep African rift lake cichlids, you want things to make the water alkalinic, so stuff like the whole and crushed sea shells and limestone will help keep it there, as well as the pH buffer. You don't want to mix oscars with them either, because oscars get bigger than a lot of African cichlids and live in a totally different type of environment.
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea I know I can't put an oscar with african cichlids, but I don't know were to put him Confused I was thinking the pjs in the mall near by but I don't know if they'll take it. and what type of african cichlids would be good for a 55 gallon. I would like maybe 10-20 some were in that range of fish. oh and they have to be pretty ahrdy since these would be my first.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: