Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ill Dwarf Cichlid (with pictures)
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angry Cuttlefish
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)11:26    Post subject: Ill Dwarf Cichlid (with pictures) Reply with quote

Hello the board,

I admit that it has been a while since I last posted. I have a sick fish but I have not found the symptoms described online (unless this is what is meant by 'hanging parasites'). I have included pictures:

http://www.goldensungaming.com/fishimages/illcichlid1.jpg
http://www.goldensungaming.com/fishimages/illcichlid2.jpg

If you look closely at the anus, you can see that it is distended and has a red rim to it. The camera was unable to capture the two spike-like protrusions coming out of the anus.

His mate had this issue as well when I first got the fish approximately 6 months ago, but she died too quickly for me to do anything about it. I closely examined this fish for approximately 30 days afterwards for any signs of illness, of which he had none.

My water parameters are good (0ppm of ammonia, nitrates & nitrites) and the tank is heavily planted. I perform weekly to biweekly water changes ranging from 25% to 50% of the total volume of water.

Any help in saving this fish is greatly appreciated!
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a kind of worm, - I tried looking it up in english (not my language), sorry but I can't find the word, - but its definitely that, - not so uncommon even, -
in danish its called anal-worm (sort of), - but thats not much help, try looking through the disease section here, - or maybe wait and someone will be able to tell you what to do.
I think what you have to do is medicate with a kind of dewormer, but how easy that is to get I am not sure.
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you can get the dewormer at the vet. good luck.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)21:10    Post subject: parasite medication Reply with quote

Why do not you use a broad spectrum medicattion that kills all the types of parasites at once. It saves you time looking under microscope to see what parasite it is.

from Josh
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: