Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
need some help raising fry!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farr_jess_123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)7:50    Post subject: need some help raising fry!!! Reply with quote

first of all what will guppy fry eat, I've given them flakes and also freezed dried brine shrimp. they are all just hanging about on the bottom of the tank. so, how and what do I get my guppy fry to eat?

also, how long should I separate tham from their parents??? I have a batch of 10 fry. 1 has about a 2-3 week start onthe rest of them.

thanks for all you people about to help me! Very Happy
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guppy fry should eat powdered flake. You could try to get live food for them but it isn't neccessary if you are just interested in raising them for now. I would keep them seperated until they gain a little size or until they are too big for the parents to eat. Many people just leave them with the parents...if you have enough plants some will survive.

Hope this helps.
KrissyW
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)10:36    Post subject: Feeding Guppy Fry Reply with quote

The frozen brine shrimp and the flakes (unless you are crushing the flakes to a fine powder) may be to big for your guppy fry to eat. I have successfully raised swordtail fry entirely on Hikari 'First Bites' and am presently raising 11 swordtail babies (approx. 2 weeks old) that I feed the Hikari food and am also trying out the Wardley's 'Small Fry' liquid food for the first time (my first impression is that the liquid food is a little too messy for fry who need excellent water quality). With experience, I am planning on eventually trying to raise baby brine shrimp - I have heard that it is relatively easy to do, just make sure that you buy quality baby brine shrimp eggs. All this being said...I should mention that I have separated my swordie fry from the adult fish in my community tank using net breeders. I think that the net breeders create a safer and less competitive (for food) environment for the fry. I am in the process of cycling a 10g that I plan on using exclusively as a fry tank, so eventually I may only use the netbreeders as a temporary holding pen for the fry until they are big enough to be moved.
Your question about seperating the fry...what are you using to seperate them from the adult guppies? A net breeder or their own tank? What other fish besides guppies do you have in your tank? I usually wait for my fry to be large enough to eat the same food (somewhat crushed) that I feed the adults and quick enough to avoid being eaten by any larger fish. I would guesstimate that my swordtail fry are approx. a month and a half old when I move them back into the community tank. Good luck with the babies! They are always a lot of fun to raise to adulthood and you will be very proud of the fact that you raised them yourself - I know that I do. KrissyW
farr_jess_123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)12:20    Post subject: :D Reply with quote

Right now they are in a separate (maybe 2g tank). I do have a net breeder, but I just moved them and I'm not sure if I want to move them so fast (stress).

In my tank I have 3 guppies(2 female 1 male), 1 albino cory, 2 platies, and 1 dwarf gourami

Also,ihave another question. my gourami has been acting kinda strange. don't know what gender (s)he is. the gourami has been staying at the back of the tank hiding behind the heater. occasionally the gourami comes out and blows bubbles (don't know if thats something they just do). anyways if someone could help me with this problem, I would really like to know if there is anything wrong with my gourami.

last question. one of my platies has grown these weird lumps on his head. also he hasn't been very active the past few days. is something wrong with him? I've had him for around a year now. can someone let me know what is wronr with him?
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of gouramia is it? Do you have a picture of it? How many of them do you have?
farr_jess_123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)12:42    Post subject: -.- Reply with quote

I said everything that you asked up in my last post. I have a 1 blue dwarf gourami in my tank. and I don't have a digital camera so there will be now pictures.
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I did not catch that. Is it many colored or is it silver? If it is colored it is a male but if it is silver it is a female. What happens to the bubbles? Do they pop or are they sticking together on the top?
farr_jess_123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)12:50    Post subject: . Reply with quote

well the bubbles pop. and the fish is blue and red so I guess its probably a male. so pregnant is out of the question. but is he sick or something?? Confused
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gouramies goes to the surface and take in air, - which they store in a special organ called the labyrint - and sometimes you can see them sort of getting like too much air, so a few boblles will escape and find their way out gills or mouth...
Or of course it could be bubbles as in making a bubble-nest, which is something the male will do if theres a female ready to spawn around him, - then it will be lots of small bubbles which he will try to gather together somewhere at the surface, so that in the end it becomes a 'nest' - in which the egg will be placed.
farr_jess_123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, he's the only gourami in the tank, so I doubt he building a nest. also he spends all his time up there. so what does that mean?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: