Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can you identify these eggs?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)12:56    Post subject: Can you identify these eggs? Reply with quote

Went to feed my puffer today, and low and behold I found a group of eggs. I have no idea who's been mackin while I wasn't watching...so maybe you can help me identify them.

The tank inhabitants include

1 SA puffer

3 Oto's
1 Raphael
1 dwarf clown pleco

~8 feeder guppies

2 Large Ramshorn snails
1 Apple snail
(the snails are too big for the puffer to eat)

Because I don't know who laid the eggs, I don't know what to prepare for. here's the picture:

Devs
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Let's try the process of elimination.It's not the Ramshorn.They lay little flat masses of jelly eggs that look almost flat when you see them. Most Apple Snails lay eggs outside of the tank water,which look almost like Honeycomb when they're done laying them. Guppies are live Bearer's. Some female fish will lay eggs without a male present.Do you know if any of your fish are female? With having three Otto's,there's a chance a male and a female are included in the group.Have you ever seen the three chasing each other along the glass?
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)14:59    Post subject: ah Reply with quote

I was guessing it was the snails...but I guess not eh?

One of the Ottos is much bigger than the other two, so I guess it might be a female. I have never witnessed any chasing or otherwise mating-like behavior from them. The raphael and pleco only come out at night, and I never see them. The puffer has no sexual dimorphism, so I just don't know if it's female or not.

Thanks for the insight about eliminating the snails as possibilities.

How long do you think I should wait to see if they will hatch? At what point should I assume they are not fertilized and are just poluting the water?
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.otocinclus.com/

you might be able to find something about otos and breeding in here.

It looks like ancistrus eggs,(do you call it bristlenose pleco ??) - which is about the only catfish I know, - but could it not be the pleco ?? If its a female ??
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt its any of your snails, they lay clutches of eggs and look nothing like those, where as otos however, they lay individual eggs on the underside of the leave, male otos tend to be smaller and slimmer where as pregnant female are very fat and big looking, have you noticed this? oto eggs take about 3 days to hatch, how long have they been in their that you know of?

Jynxy
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: