Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sick Betta help
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DresFish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)10:35    Post subject: Sick Betta help Reply with quote

I have been battling with a sick betta for a few months now. It started with some clear like bubbles on his tail fin. They are hard to describe, but it looks like a bubble, where it protrudes from each side. Then I started to see little white dots on this side fins. To boot, he has developed fin rot. I have looked everywhere online and I can not find a diagnosis to what those bubble like things are on his back fin (and now a few on his bottom fin) or the little white dots are. I can find NOTHING that even describes this. The white spots are only on his side fins (though this morning I think I might see one dot on his chin, which is making me panic).

He lives in a 10 gallon tank that I do keep cleaned. I am a beginner and have made a few mistakes, but I think I have it under control now what needs to be done when. I did have a bought with brown algae for a little while, if that helps with diagnosis.

I have tried (in this order)...
Ick treatment (as I originally thought it was ick)
Maroxy w/ maracyn 2
added salt to the tank
Maracyn 2
and I am currently using Jungle Fungus Eliminator

Each time I tried something, I thought it was helping for a small time. But really he's not gotten better. Nothing has helped with the bubble like spots on the tail. As a matter of fact, a lot of the fin rot has split his tail up to the bubbles, strangely. Fungus Eliminator is doing NOTHING.

He is still very active and eats like a pig. To see his demenor, you'd think there was nothing wrong with him. I don't want to keep treating him for what I "think" he "might" have. I don't want to do more damage than is what is already there! Should I buy him a hospital tank? Does anyone know what these bubbles or dots are? I have looked on several websites but find nothing.

I want to go to the store and get him something, but I'm lost for what else I can do. Any help would be overly appreciated!!!!
Thanks,
Desiree
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

How large are the bubbles and do they look like they're filled with fluid, or are they clear? Again how large are the dots? When you treated for ich... how long did you treat him for and with what?

Would it possible for you to give us the water parameters of the tank?
DresFish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bubbles are about 1 mm big. They are bigger than the ick spots I've seen online are. They look to me like they might be fluid filled, but it is really difficult to tell. The only reason they make me think fluid filled is becasuse they protrude from the left and right side of the tail, as though something is in them. The spots on his little side fins do not look fluid filled and have that tiny spotty grain look. But if those are ick on his side fins, then why doesn't he have the spots all over his body? I treated him for ick about 4 weeks ago for 14 days with something called Rid Ick.

After staring at him for a while to examine the bubbles, I take it back what I said about the fungus eliminator doing nothing. The bubbles do look a little smaller in size, or rather slightly deflated. But there is also a new one. The little dots on his side fins are no better though.

I'm sorry to say that I currently don't have a test kit to test the water. I did just take the whole thing apart and scrubed it last saturday before I started to treat him with the Fungus Eliminator. I also use AmQuel to treat for chlorine, etc.

Hope this helps some. Again, Thanks for any advice!!
Desiree
DresFish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to buy him a small hospital tank today and treat him for ick again. Unless someone has a better suggestion. This morning I see two more white dots, but this time on his body, which is new for him. I hope I'm doing the right thing!
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I thought I replied to this... I wondered if you noticed the spots disappear after the first trearment for ich. Also, did you medicate the tank daily and perform water changes... If so how often and how much? Was carbon removed from the filter (if you use it)? Did you raise the temp? It does sound more like a parasite (ich), to me. But maybe others will weigh in with their opinions...
DresFish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I treated him for ick, the spots didn't disappear. The problem really has been around since end of December, beginning of January. He has had about 2 bubbles on his tail and 2-3 white spots on one side fin since then. it wasn't until he got the fin rot that it got worse and he only got fin rot a few weeks ago. When I first noticed something, I didn't know what to treat him with or if he had something, so I waited to try and figure out how to go about it. I didn't think it was ich because he had had only a few spots for oh so long that I thought he should have spots all over his body if it were ich.

I bought a tiny 2.5 gal. tank and put him in it with the ich teatment, but he was terribly unhappy about it. I had no way of heating it and even when I put it in a very warm room, the temp wouldn't get above 76. Soooo... I scrubed his 10 gal. tank again, put salt and AmQuel in it and put him back in. He's much happier in there. I think I'm TOTALLY paranoid now, but his eyes were looking a bit swollen to me. So I've decided to treat him with Maracyn for a few days, though I think now I should have gone back to the fungus eliminator. Those bubbles on his back fin look a lot smaller and maybe like they've popped or something. I'm so tired of not knowing what to do for him. It feels like a guessing game now and I don't like medicating him with everything in the world.

I'm going to get a master test kit tonight to keep better track of his water. I feel like I have been keeping his aquarium clean though. I'll tell you why he got like this... I bought a heater when I first got him, but when I used it the temp was going from like 72-76ish every day and I thought it must be normal since it was a brand new heater. But after a month or so I thought, this can't be normal... and so I bought another new one and it stays constant, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I was also putting too much conditioner in his water without knowing it.

As always, any help or direction would be great! Smile
DresFish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I should have waited to post the last message as now I have an update. I turned on the tank light this morning and looked at him and the white spots on one of his side fins have turned from white to red. The other side is still white dots. There is now a red spot on his back near his head. Also, from where the white bubbles on his back fin look deflated, there was a big chunk of fin hanging off his tail where it tore from the bubble to the end of the fin (but not quite fallen off yet). So now he is missing a big chunk of his fin.

Help! Should I keep him on the Maracyn? or switch to some other treatment? If I switch to another medication should I do a complete water change to get the Maracyn out? I've only given him 2 pills so far. I'm so disheartened.

Sorry for such long winded posts...
Thanks,
Desiree
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: