Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Yabbies (Crawdads???)
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)2:10    Post subject: Yabbies (Crawdads???) Reply with quote

Hi,

A Friend just gave me a some fish, and included in the bag were 3 yabbies (I think they are crawdads in US?).

Anyays, I have no idea what they need / like etc... has anyone got yabbies in their fish tank?.

Cheers,

Aaron
fyrflye
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had one in a tank for about a year. From the research I did, unless it is an extremely large tank you can only keep one to a tank. I can affirm this is true, I started out with 3 and ended up with one. Mine is a great scavenger, he cleans up any flakes that make it to the bottom and gets his share of shrimp pellets and anything else that I give the bottom feeders. You wouldn't want him in a tank with any slow moving fish (betta) or anything that would consider him food (large cichlids). They are interesting creatures. I mistook the first couple of molts (shedding) as a dead crawdad, they really look like the entire body until you get a really close look. I have mine in a molly tank so there is a little salt in there too and he has grown considerably. Enjoy them!
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,

I can only see one now also, I doubt the other two have been eaten yet and are just hiding.

My other concern was that he might bite the loaches I have? - I'll keep 'em in there and see how we go...

Anyone else have yabbies?
fyrflye
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would depend on the loaches, but I have 2 skunk loaches and cories.and I don't keep any of them in the tank with the crawdad. I did have a pleco but have since moved him. The crawdad is a very busy scavenger who does the job in a 12 gal tank.
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crayfish are really cool if you know what you're in for, I have one, it's about seven or eight inches. They eat plants, some fish (as you know) and just about anything. They're great scavengers! Mine goes around all day eating rocks.
They will canabalize eachother quite quickly, so just don't be surprised if you only end up with one. I had one in a tank with a couple khuli loaches, the loaches only lasted one day. I didn't realize they'd be so vulnerable to the crayfishes.
I feed my crayfish lettuce, cucumber (he doesn't like celery), chicken, and sometimes, fresh caught worms and snails.
Loachie07
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dought the crayfish will bother the loaches, for they tend to be a little slow and prefer to grab things that move by slowly. lets just hope your loaches don't need to learn from expierence that they can't just sit by him, or he may grab them. but hey I think theyd be fine Smile
Veneer
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loachie07 wrote:
I dought the crayfish will bother the loaches, for they tend to be a little slow and prefer to grab things that move by slowly. lets just hope your loaches don't need to learn from expierence that they can't just sit by him, or he may grab them. but hey I think theyd be fine Smile

Mixing crayfish with bottom-feeding fish ultimately almost always culminates in failure; it is practically assured that your crayfish will evenutally capture and consume your loaches (likely during their nocturnal rest phase).
fiffy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had crayfish for a while. I had 2 in my 20 gallon tank and within a year they spawned about 6 times. They have probably near 100 eggs (I never even attempted to count them myself) but the majority will not make it to adulthood. The female will need a place where she can hide when she is with eggs. They loved to eat feeder fish and I don't remember what else I used to feed them. This was probably about 8 years ago or so. I didn't keep any other fish in the tank with them though. Prior to that I had 2 females (I think they were females but damn, this must have been 10 years ago lol) and I kept 2 albino corries with them. They never bothered the corries even though the feeder fish wouldn't last a day in there.
I wouldn't put them in a tank with fish that you want to keep though as they do catch live food, but will also scavange. Outside of those 2 corries, I never put anything with mine other then feeder fish so I can't say for sure that they will eat your fish.
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I might just take them out and give them to a friend who has tanks with yabbies oscars and cichlids.

The last thing I want is for any of my fishies to be harmed by the yabbies, and in all honesty I don't think the yabbies are that great.

They fun to watch when they pickup the algae waffers and as others have said the are a good cleanup crew, but at the risk of losing fish I would rather not.

Thanks for all that replied! - help me a lot.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: