Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bamboo/filter feeding shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)3:31    Post subject: Bamboo/filter feeding shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis) Reply with quote

Found these guys in the Gallery, but looking for more experiences. Has anyone kept these guys, and what special arrangements were made for their feeding? I can get marine coral food (the liquid stuff you feed anemones, etc) if that would be appropriate. Google tends to turn up more shrimp recipes than breeding info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are great. I haven't had them in several years, but if I can find them or order them, they are definitely going in my new 20g long tank that's for sure. They will eat anything from flake to frozen food. Whatever particles float by them in the water column. They are very soothing to watch and their feeding movements can be very hypnotic. Give them some places to hide and you should be just fine.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else? Wink

That said, do these guys prefer to be in groups, or pairs, or solitary? Is a 20 gallons long the minimum for them, space wise?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE on my shrimp.

After reading the gallery's profile, I assume I have some killer fan shrimp. All three of mine, two in one tank, and one in another, are housed with young bronze cories, and now all the cories have torn dorsal and caudal fins. A water test proved that everything was in the green, no ammonia, nitrites, very low 20ppm nitrates. I am left assuming that the shrimp have done this deed, for before their arrival, the fins were fine and whole.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Pi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused True bamboo shrimp shouldn't be able to harm anything. Some shrimp look similar, are you sure of what you've got? But either way, they just aren't equipped to fight...anything- despite their size.

I have a bamboo shrimp in my community. I usually feed him frozen daphnia. Most often, they will naturally set themselves up in a place with good current, extend their fans, and wait for the food to be brought to them. The will also eat frozen brine shrimp and flake food (crush it a bit so it is small enough to fit into their fans). If they can't catch it in the current, they will sweep their fans along the substrate. I don't believe the marine liquid food is necessary, or even necessarily appropriate for them.

I know it's hard to find information on these guys.
http://www.petshrimp.com/bambooshrimp.html
is a good place to start.

Pi
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if somehow the cories got too close to the shrimp, who reacted defensively....or if the cories just got in the way of the fans somehow?
Pi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe?

But the fans aren't sharp...even if he did act defensively I don't know what he would use to defend himself with...he just doesn't have the equipment. They are just pretty harmless in the experience of everyone I know who has kept them (of course you could always be the first). Mine has put up with ghost shrimp trying to eat his fans (the same shrimp also tried to eat the fins of my rams, I don't know how she is still alive) and he just sort of swam away.

I hope you figure this out Confused

I have no idea...

Pi
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like snips have been taken out of the dorsal and caudal fins, but these shrimp aren't able to "cut" as are, say, ghost shrimp, right?
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taratron - my shrimp is with 9 cories and I've never had any problems. They can 'poke' with their fans but they are not sharp at all. The shrimp are very peaceful and would rather scurry away than fight. Smile
Veneer
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post an image? I don't mean to cast doubt on your identification skills, but your shrimp may be mislabeled Macrobrachium spp.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: