Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Very small tiger oscars
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svendawgg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)0:44    Post subject: Very small tiger oscars Reply with quote

These are my 2 tiger Oscars that I got from the Lfs the other day. So far they have been the most amazing fish. They were scared of me the first couple hours, until I decided to feed them. The first meal for them ended up being flake foods. They did alright with that, and became a little less timid when I was around the tank, only going into hiding when I came up close. Then I decided to try some blood worms, I head read that Oscars can eat from your hand, so after about 7 hours of having the pair, I decided to try it. Sure enough, they came right up and ate the block of frozen bloodworms right out of my fingers. The third meal I decided to try was a goldfish, about half the size of the Oscars. It ended up dead with in about 15 minutes of being in the tank, with barely anything left. They are nolonger scared of me though. I can come right up to the tank, put my face to the glass and they just sit there staring back at me. Next will come tricks, I'm gunna see what I can teach these fish to do. The tank I have them in right now is only temporary. Their permanent tank is going to be done cycling in about 2 more weeks. I only have 1 question about this though. The Oscars are only about 2 inches in legnth, but are pretty thick, and the permanent tank is a 80 gallon, which might be a little small for full grown Oscars. But I had read that they do better with other fish as company, what kinda fish would do well with the Oscars? I would hate for them to be unhappy.
Here are some pics of the little guys!

Notice the betta in the fish bowl, the Oscars are taking up his permanent home right now until the other tank is done cycling.

I am not the best photographer, but here is the pair anyhow

Last edited by svendawgg on 2005.04.23(Sat)22:30; edited 1 time in total
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 oscars in an 80 should be fine on their own. It may actually be pushing the stocking, so certainly no other big fish. And they will eat small fish once they grow a bit. So no tankmates as adults.

If you wanted tankmates now, some larger barbs/ tetras (Buenos Aires, tiger, ect) can be used, but they might be a snack later.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: