Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
planting plants (uprooting)
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicklfire
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)23:52    Post subject: planting plants (uprooting) Reply with quote

Hey people,
this is my first post, new to the community and would like to share a couple of questions with you all. I'v had a 33 Gallon for about a year now and wanted to get into the plant scene.. I used to have a couple of fake ones but now have converted over to real ones so I sucked out and bought some. I'v had em a couple days now (don't all the iron suppliments and stuff) but.. how do I keep them rooted in there.I dunno if the fish are kicking them up or.. they are too light.. .and I don't really want to use a weigh. But how do you guys keep your plants in there any tricks of the trade so I don't wake up in the morning and find floating plants.

also where do you guys host your pictures?
wolong
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is your layer of subtrate is not think enough. You might want to consider using more subtrate or finer grains. But I'm no expert. Maybe someone can offer better advise or correct me.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what plant, fish and what type of substrate (gravel) you have. Generally you hold the plant with 2 fingers, poke down into the the gravel as far as you can. Pull your hand out and make sure the gravel piles around the plants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in addition to what Irons said, how a plant actually get planted varies from plant to plant.

For example, when planting long stemmy plants like hornwort, which usually do not come with a root system, it is helpful to bend the end so it forms a hook. When you place that into your substrate in the fashion Irons described, the 'hook' will help anchor it a bit more.

Jake
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

also once the plant starts to grow, the root system will stop it being lifted out by currents or fish. if your still havin trouble, maybe consider just buying varieties of plants that are attatched to bogwood. anubias and java fern look pretty good I reckon.
I host my pics at www.freeimagehosting.net
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)8:37    Post subject: Plants Reply with quote

I would look at your fish diggin up the plants or is the gravel not deep enough to hold the plants in. Are the plants snapping from the stems from a lack of light or nutrient defiency. You need to tell us more information on the gravel, the light wattage, nutrient regime and the fish type in your fish tank before we can help you improve on your fish tank.

Good Luck

from Josh
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)13:41    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

If your light is not enough, many stem plants will break themselves off and try to float away to where the light is better.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: