Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anerobic bacteria making toxic gasses. myth or truth?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)22:01    Post subject: Anerobic bacteria making toxic gasses. myth or truth? Reply with quote

OK well I keep on hearing about how in freshwater and saltwater aquarium anerobic areas in the substrate will hous anerobic bacteria that can make toxic gasses ect. just wondering what the gas is called? What have you heard about this? can it happen in the home aquarium?

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, under anaerobic conditions, it's possible for H2S, hydrogen sulfide, to be produced.

It usually smells like rotten eggs, and is quite toxic. It can be formed from decaying organic matter under anaerobic conditions (I.e. a 'dead' spot in the aquarium, etc)
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)1:57    Post subject: Decaying material Reply with quote

I agree with Darkblade the Hydrogen sulfide need decaying materials and no oxygen but for it to kill you I think you have to in a closed up room. The fish tank have to be looked after badly with organic matter built up under the rocks or timber fixtures to produce such a high amount.

from Josh
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were curious as to how toxic hydrogen sulfide was, according to the MSDS:

Quote:

Inhalation of a single breath at a concentration of 1000 ppm ( 0.1% ) may cause coma.

There is a rapid loss of sense of smell on exposure to gas concentrations above 150 ppm, and this means that the extent of exposure may be underestimated. Perception threshold ranges from 0.5 ppt to 0.1 ppm.

Just to let you know though, most people can smell it when it's in the parts per trillion range, so it'll be pretty hard to inhale 1000 ppm of the stuff unless you're in a closed room.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id still worry about it even in minute portions. Throw some Malaysian Trumpet snails in there to aerate the sand. In a marine setting with DSBs the anaerobes are necessary as part of the natural filtration process.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad said somthing about hydrogen solfide, somthing to do with the fact that it won't be created in a home aquarium. I will have to get back to you guys about that as my dad is in some other country(hes a civil engineer and is often out of the country, I gave up remembering where).

will post what my dad said once I talk with him.

andrew
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK heres basically what he said though I might have missed a few things. Basically to make hydrogen solfate you need solphur. Which dosen't exist or there isn't enough of it in a aquarium to make the toxic gas.

it was something along those lines.

Quote:
Throw some Malaysian Trumpet snails in there to aerate the sand.

its not sand, its gravel. fine gravel.

andrew
2 winged demons
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well needless to say, I've had it happen to me, so I'd like to know where my sulfur came from then.

Any rotting body will have some sulfur in it, and it will make some H2S, even if it is in minute amounts. Remember, the human detection threshold is about 1 part per trillion, which essentially means if there is one H2S molecule in a trillion molecules of air, some people can smell the rotten egg smell
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the technicality. Rolling Eyes regardless if youre worried about anaerobes MTS will help. With your plants if anaerobic spots develop and the root systems hit a gas pocket it will turn the roots black and hurt your plants.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTS work in the same way earthworms do for the same reasons. They also burrow down in all types of substrate from sand to large gravel.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: