Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nemo fish
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwerty123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)21:03    Post subject: Nemo fish Reply with quote

Hello, I have been thinking about setting up a marine tank and having a breeding pair of clown fish ( can't remember what its actually called. Nemo).
After I did a little research I red somthing about they can change sex and once they turn female they can't go back, is this true? Would I better off just ordering a breeding couple?. what size tank is appropriate?, what works better and easier to take care of sand or gravel?, is coral and live rock necessary?, what type of food do they need eg frozen food, live food. How often would I have to do water changes and how do I go on cleaning the tank?. Are plants necessary.
Any more info would be appreciated.[/url]
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)21:31    Post subject: Re: Nemo fish Reply with quote

The VERY FIRST thing you'll need is a good book. Since your interest is in clowns and breeding, you may want to make it two books. First, I would suggest starting with "The New Marine Aquarium" (Paletta). When you're confident that this is what you want to do, I would then suggest "Clownfishes" (Wilkerson).

All Clownfish start out as males. The largest, most dominant fish will turn into a female. No, they can not shift back. Your best bet, then, to get a pair, is to buy two juveniles and let them work out who will "wear the pants".

IME, "breeding pair" in LFS terms simply means a pair of fish (usually male and female) that may or may not have laid eggs for someone in the past. I have, for instance, seen two female FW Angels sold as a "breeding pair".

To breed a pair of Ocellaris or Percula Clowns, you'd want at least a 20, and a spare 30 or 40 breeder to raise the fry.

IME, sand is a better choice of substrate than gravel.

Coral and anemones are unnecessary. Live Rock is not technically necessary, but it's the best material to use to build your reef structure. Reef fish need a "reef".

How often you need to change water depends on your set-up and what else you do in terms of maintenance.

Plants are not necessary.

Please check out those books before you jump into this.
qwerty123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, next time I go out I will go to my lfs and see if they have any books. I just have 2 more questions. How many eggs can they produce and what is their average amount of eggs they produce.
Thanks
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: