Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Newbie question: Need Advice on adding fish or not
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PP
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)20:12    Post subject: Newbie question: Need Advice on adding fish or not Reply with quote

Hello!

I just had my first aquarium, a planted 20G, almost 2 months ago, with these fishes:

7 Zebra Danios
3 Lionheads (approx. 1 1/2 inches)
3 Ryukins (smaller than the Lionheads)
1 male Swordtail
3 female Swordtail
1 Plecos (roughly around 2 1/2 inches)

So far, everything's going well, with the exeption of 1 casualty (1 male swordtail died after 2 days), they're all healthy and are living peacefully with each other Smile

The Danios seem to have a leader, he/she keeps on chasing the other Danios, but they seem to like that, haha. The Plecos just keeps hiding inside the barrel (except when it's nighttime, then he'll come out, I think he's antisocial). The Goldfishes are just swimming about anywhere they want to and the Swordtails like to swim in the near middle of the tank.

Anyway, I just want to ask, is it advisable to add another fish in my tank? whether it's the same species as the ones I already have or another species? If yes, what are your suggestions on what fish I'll get? Hope to hear from you guys Very Happy
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't. In a few months time you are already going to have problems with having 6 HUGE waste producing fish in your tank. For 6 goldfish I'd go with at least a 55g for an upgrade. That's just for the goldfish. These guys are really high on the bioload and constantly put water parameters out of whack I would definitely keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels especially. If you don't plan on getting a new tank in the next few months at the very latest I suggest taking at least 3-4 of the goldfish back to the fish store.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget that pleco Shocked that tank is overstocked...way overstocked. the only thing id keep is the danios personally.
PP
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh. What if I I retained the 4 swordtails, 1 pleco and the 7 danios, will it still be crowded?
Ryan Yates
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be a good start, but I think you'd be better off replacing the pleco with about 3 or 4 ottocinclus. A lot of people really love their ottos, I'm about to get some for my 15 gal. You could also add about 5 or so cories or small loaches (like kuhli loaches) or 3 yoyo loaches. They'll help eat up uneaten food on the substrate, although you should feed them specially too with sinking pellets of some kind.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ryan otos are the way to go if you're looking for a sucker mouth cat that is size appropriate for your tank.

As far as the plecos go, you'll definitely want them out of your tank soon. Common plecos grow to be about the 20" long and are notorious for creating a lot of waste which will destroy the quality of your tank's water. Further, keeping a fish that grows that large in a tank as small as yours will definitely stunt it, subjecting it to a death where its exterior stops growing but its internal organs do not.

Jake
PP
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advices, I'll be taking a trip to the fish shop this week. I might add a few loaches in coz I've been noticing a few snails popping out of the tank, I read in a thread that they're a good solution in snail infestation.

Thanks again!
rjkd
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really shouldn't mix the goldfish with the other fish as they are coldwater while the other fish prefer warmer temperature.
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)18:05    Post subject: That tank is screaming Reply with quote

No offense, but that tank is jsut screaming overstocked! You will have major ammonia problems in the future. What I would do is, get rid of all the goldfish. Never mix goldfish with tropicals, escpecially with that tiny size of your aquarium! Then get rid of the pleco and replace it with a cute little suckermouth. Plecos just won't be happy in a little tank like that, and they create so much fecal matter. I've seen a pleco 18 inches long before! Trust me, they grow. Then you could probably get a couple more fish (a dwarf gourami, might I suggest) Good luck with your tank, I'm sure it's just beautiful! Let us know how it goes.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: