Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Male sword with out sword?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jzuche
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)19:18    Post subject: Male sword with out sword? Reply with quote

Thought I had grown two female Swords now both 10+cm neither had developed a sword and now just noticed that one now has a gonopodium but doesn't chase the female and is definitely larger than the male I have.
What's going on? Both are as large as my black molly female if not larger.
invertaman
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymorphadites at 12 o'clock. just kidding I don't know mabey it just desired to be a male.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swordtails aren't hermaphrodites and I am not convinced that they can change sex. Not too sure whats happening in your case(10 cm is pretty large for swordtails these days). Some males will wait a long time to develop swords.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is only one case, I have had a female nezzie swordtail turn into a male. She was a close to two inches when the change occurred, and she was female entirely beforehand; she dropped fry, although none survived to adulthood, and the change to the male sex happened fully within a total of two weeks: a growth of gonopodium, the sword tail, etc. I now have a fully functioning male nezzie who presents and shows off to the other fish in the tank, but is nowhere near the aggression levels I have seen in other livebearer males, like my old male molly. 'She' has been a he now for over three months. I wish I could say I have fry from him now, but my other female jumped ship two and a half months ago, so down to one male now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
stephenhodgson
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

my swords arnt even 1cm and they all have swords wll the males anyway lol Wink Very Happy
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jzuche wrote:
Thought I had grown two female Swords now both 10+cm neither had developed a sword and now just noticed that one now has a gonopodium but doesn't chase the female and is definitely larger than the male I have.
What's going on? Both are as large as my black molly female if not larger.

Do you have males in the tank? It's believed that the dominate males sword will be the longest and the rest will have shorter swords. It seemed to be true in my tanks that had many males.
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they wanted to have babies so bad they drew straws to see who would be the man? .. hehe kidding.. I don't know
Jzuche
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have males in the tank? It's believed that the dominate males sword will be the longest and the rest will have shorter swords. It seemed to be true in my tanks that had many males.[/quote]

Dawn, yes I have another nice long sword tail male but not even close to being as big as this girl to boy. I noticed yesterday that it may be developing a tail but today its whitish, don't know if it's ick or the male biting at it. Also notice that the tip of the Gonopodium is whitish also. Trying to take a picture to put on here but of course about the time it stood still the camera battery died. Thanks for the reply
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Jzuche, to be honest I have seen changes with some of my female swordtails, but nothing that couldn't be explained away. IME, they were never fully functional... to be fully fuctional they would need to produce living fry as a male. To prove this you would mate "him" with a virgin female to save time. Or wait to breed him with a female for at least 6 months, as whichever female you choose to bear fry from him would need to use all the stored sperm.

I've also seen changes in guppies in similar circumstances... As they age their tail continues to grow and can sometimes rival the most beautiful male you've seen. The easiest and best way I can explain it is... Have you noticed that older women tend to grow facial hair- much more often than younger women? Many times it's due to hormone changes... fish don't seem to be as complex as humans and when they go through their change, it can look more drastic in appearance... fish menopause! More often than not we're dealing with a late bloomer, especially when it comes to swords.

I won't be here much until Monday, as I am working a fundraiser this weekend and cooking up a storm, but I will be sure to check this thread out for questions and comments.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its well documented that older females will develop a gonopodium in later life however they cannot father offspring at all so its not a complete sex reversal.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: