Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Blood Parrot Cichlid problem
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
codemann
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:16    Post subject: Blood Parrot Cichlid problem Reply with quote

I've had my Blood Parrot Cichlid 5-6yrs now, he is 6inch now in a 30gal hexagon. For the past 3yrs, his gills have showing and appear to be enlarged, maybe swollen,. But what could be tthe problem? He acts fine otherwise. Is it a water issue ? Got a 150gph biowheel filter and powerhead attached to a underground filter.....[/code]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parrot cichlids are just a hybrid fish, and hybrids of anything tend to have genetic problems that make them unable to do certain things and problems that cannot be fixed.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, swollen gills may definitely be a water quality issue. I would seriously test your water and do a HUGE waterchange. Also, your filter isn't large enough to adequately filter the tank with a messy cichlid. I recommend at least 10times per hour filtration on all my tanks.
codemann
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 200gph filter, isn't that enough for a 30-40gallon tank ?

Are underground filters junk ? Should it be removed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
codemann
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)18:17    Post subject: Picture Reply with quote

Heres my 6inch. Blood Parrot Cichlid, notice his gills hanging out...

Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do you change the water? The redness could indicate ammonia burns or sceptecimia. What are your water parameters? If you don't have a test kit I'd take a sample down to your lfs first thing in the morning and see what's going on. That fish doesn't look good.
codemann
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fish has looked this way 3-4 yrs now. He eats, he chases your finger.. I change the water as needed. I've never tested the water.. I'm doing a complete water change tomorrow. Take the gravel out and underground filter, I just discovered bugs at the bottom. His tank keeps getting clouded with particles, I think its the cichlid pellets.. I'm going to try tubiflex worms for awhile..
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: