Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Blue Gourmias
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:12    Post subject: Blue Gourmias Reply with quote

Hi!
My male blue gourmias is becoming very aggresive and colorful along with two of the females becoming very colorful, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about their breeding habits.
Thanks.
fiffy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried to breed my 3 spot gourami but I know they are bubble nesters. So you will need a relatively undisturbed area of your surface water. Preferably a large section. I hope someone else can help you out more. Very Happy
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some (just a little) hornwort placed at the top of the tank can give them a nice place to build. They sometimes like to use plant material in their nests. Also, the surface of the water needs to have a calm place for the nest, they're easily disturbed.
You also need to make sure your females have plenty of hiding places. If they do spawn, the females should be removed. You can use a glass divider, another tank, or some people just use a taracota pot with a hold in the bottom, turned upside down to give the females a place to escape to.
One more thing I can mention, is that gouramis prefer softer, more acidic water when spawning - 6.5. But if your's are going to, the first thing you will notice will be the bubble nest.
Now, all of this is just what I've read, I'm still working on getting my gouramis to spawn. The female I bought six months ago, now seems to be a male! She had a short round fin, now it's long and pointy. No mating behavior either. So I'll be back at the pet store soon, hopefully with better luck picking a girl Rolling Eyes
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound like a really dumb question, but can you discourage their breeding? I do not have calm water and it is becoming very aggresive to the other inhabitants.
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at your profile, I will say, a 29 G tank is way way too small for four blue guoramies, and especially two males, - you have to remove at least one of the male before one of them will get hurt, - and to be honest I doubt that you will ever be able to have 'peace and quite' with more than one blue gourami in there. I also doubt that what you are seing is related to spawning, but rather to the fact that they are becoming more and more territorial, which is 'natural' for them in a tank thats not big enough.
I would suggest maybe changing all of them to one of the smaller types, like dwarf or honey.
Personally I would not put three spot gouramies in a tank less than 55 G, and I would even hesitate with that, they are very territorial, and they get really big. And gouramies does not appreciate each others company really, in particular not the males. And in a smaller tank (for three spots) they will also dominate other fish.
The big gouramies are not really agressive fish, but they are just very territorial.
fiffy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

My male 3 spot gourami does fine in my 55g tank. In there I have 5 cherry barbs, 3 cardinals, 6 danio's, 2 mollies, and 1 pleco. My gaurami does not show any signs of aggresion twords the other fish. No chaseing, not bites to their tails or fins.
Now, if I put another male gourami in the tank, well that would be another story. Wink
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify I only have one male in the tank. Along with him are three females, 8 Zebra Danios, 2 plecos, and 1 Cory.
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a male builds a bubble nest and spawns with a female, he is very protective about the eggs. If you really want to breed them, they should be in their own tank, no smaller than your 29g.
I would suggest you get a separate breeding tank, or better yet, get a tank slightly larger than what you have (the plecos concern be, as they might outgrow your current tank), put the other fish in it, and let the gouramis have the 29g. for breeding. Once they have spawned, remove the females into the larger tank, and once the eggs have hatched, remove the male. I'm not entirely sure on male/female ratio for gourami spawning, but I think you may be OK in that. Someone else may know better.
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning to get rid of the plecos when they get bigger. There is a lfs that gives store credit for them at any size so I have a place to take them. I would move the gourmias but I do not have any other tank to move them to so they are kind of stuck there.
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if its one male and 3 female, the tank IMO is too small, - I think the above suggestion to use the 29 as a spawning tank, and they buy something bigger for them to 'live' in is a good idea...
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: