Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lamprologus Ocellatus (gold) Thinking of getting them?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)4:07    Post subject: Lamprologus Ocellatus (gold) Thinking of getting them? Reply with quote

What do you guys think? would a 10 gal tank house 3 of these and what would I have to do in order for them to breed? and is it a good idea? would they be easy to sell? or are they like convicts, livebearers..etc..

Thanks
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a lovely species, I adore mine.
But, a 10 in my opinion isn't large enough. Some people will recommend it but these fish keep good-sized territories (10" diameter or more) and just deserve more space than that - a 20 long is a good tank, or larger is of course always a great idea. Since this is a harem fish, I wouldn't recommend a pair, in a 10 or even a larger tank - that's just asking for the male to beat up on the female (or vice vera *if* they manage to breed despite being constantly at odds).
They're not difficult to breed, once you have a small harem. Feed with a good-quality staple and some meaty treats (live/frozen/freeze-dried brine shrimp, cyclops, daphnia), keep hardness and alkalinity up (though tank-bred specimens can handle pH as low as 7.6 or so, they're much more likely to breed when the water more closely resembles that of Lake Tanganyika).
They're quite easy to sell (they're pretty, small, easy to keep) although the maret isn't huge for any kind of Africans. But they're not excessively prolific (don't expect much more than 20 fry to a spawn) and they take some time to grow out, so you're unlikely to end up with 100 saleable fry on your hands at once the way you can with a thriving multi colony.

If you're buying them locally - wait for GORGEOUS specimens. There's a lot of variance in "gold" among the species, and you're selling yourself far short if you settle for mediocre examples when there are such gorgeous ones out there.

Last edited by LittleMousling on 2005.04.22(Fri)7:40; edited 2 times in total
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article states that you can keep a PAIR in a 10 gallon. If you want a trio it should be at least 20 gallons. Lots of interesting reading here too. I once was wanting a shellie tank, but aside from online ording I couldn't get any in my area Crying or Very sad

http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_ocellatus.php

Sorry Molly, I must have been typing at the same time you were. Wink
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm..I could get a 25 gal tank from my firend, I might do that, I do hope they breed! how many do you suggest for this size of tank?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that article states they can successfully be kept in pairs, but not that he has. When an animal's basic instinct is to harem breed then if there is only one female in the tank, things get ugly.

In a 25g I would keep one male and maybe 3-4 females.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: