Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Some pics of my 20H (56k)
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeNZ
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)22:22    Post subject: Some pics of my 20H (56k) Reply with quote

Here they are:

I am going to get more rocks to make caves and such, and more forground plants, but my funds have ran out for now.
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I see a red tailed shark and two bala sharks in there? If so, I'd recommend getting rid of them before they start growing and kill each other/your other fish. Not kidding. That is a bad idea for such a small tank (actually it's a bad idea to mix two species of shark period). If you want your tank to be a success and not have to restock your tank after a major massacre of either sharks or other fish, I would return your sharks to the LFS and replace them with something smaller and more peaceful.

BTW, the tank looks very nice.

Byez! Very Happy
PeNZ
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't seem to have a problem right now, nor for the 4-5months that I've had them. But ill keep an eye on them to make sure nothing happens.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Penz,

Behaviour is only half the problem with keeping either of those fish in a 29g. Balas grow to be gigantic, leaving them in your tank will stunt them, subjecting them to a miserable death. I'd get rid of them ASAP for their sake.

Jake
Fome
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think bala sharks should not be in the hobby... too many people buy them thinking "ooh, a tiny shark. how novel!" and it just leads to problems...
w5yw5y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big exactly these bala sharks get anyways? I've only heard negative feedbacks from people telling other people about them having bala sharks. I guess I can understand what you all are trying to tell him/her. But we were all newbies and we were all clueless about these kind of issues right? Take it easy.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balas get very big, in excess of a foot long. Generally the recommended tank size for them is 125g plus.

Jake
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

w5yw5y, I don't see any justification for your admonition for people to "take it easy"--everyone has been well behaved, completely honest, and very helpful with their cautionary remarks regarding PeNZ keeping a bala shark in a 20-gallon tank, which is incontrovertibly inappropriate for a fish that can grow the length of your forearm:

Your question suggests that you've had very little experience yourself with this fish particularly as adults, so you might not be able to understand why others are so staunch (and appropriately so) in their attempts to dissuade PeNZ from keeping this fish in his/her tank. Being a newbie and "clueless" just makes it even more imperative that PeNZ be offered advice from people who have been down the wrong path before or know enough to have avoided it altogether. Naivet
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: