Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Does anyone know about this product?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ahsupply has great retrofit kits for PC's and anything with opposable digits could put them together Smile
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip I'll go take a look.

(Ask a question wind up with a million more)
Alexperez
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the TeK T5 Lights also found on ReefGeek.com, I got one of these a few weeks ago and it is a great light.
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will thanks. and to make sure this post is long enough I'll type Hi Y'all hows life.
bash
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets make the post longer.... Laughing .... since it seems your OK with diy I recomend running down to your local electrical supply store and asking them to order the ballast for you.. I did this and got the exact same ballast that comes with the tek retro fit kits for about 50$ ordered bulbs and reflectors from reefgeek.com and stuffed two 54watt t-5 bulbs into the light strip that came with my tank all for a grand total of about $120
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm gonna spend $120 plus I'll just order L.E.D.'s from the net, and build an array like I did for my 10g. With that setup I could mimic the light from a metal halide and choose my wavelenghts specificly per area and plant, But I'm not sure if I realy want to go through all that trouble right now (I'm feeling kinda lazy, it must be the snow thats been falling the last couple of days) Very Happy
Anyway is the post long enough for you now because I could go on like this all day Wink
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

glitch if you could detail that LED setup I'm very interested...new lighting solutions are always sought by this guy Cool
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for the LED setup It was a lot of trial and error but I now know how to do it proper-ish. As with anything in electronics, theory and reality are very Different. Anyway the best way to do it would be like this

Mount to 1/4 inch PlexieGlass I Drilled holes into my plexi (to make a perfect Grid I used peg board) stuck the LED's into it and then used spray on Clear 'Plasti-dip' to "water proof" it. The huge plus here IMO is that you can use a power supply or batteries to run it. So Far my plants have been doing just fine because I used the wavelenght chart of a metal halide to pick my LED's. (White at 18000 MCD's)

Don't use to thin of a plexi (or whatever) or it Will Bow and sink into the tank Exclamation

Any other questions just ask
(Diagram does not show true amount of LED's used or size)
Glitch
bash
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

very intresting do you have a pic of this in action? what type of plants? is this on your 20? is that a long or tall? how many led's total?
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I have running now is a different setup than what I described and is very prototype, so prototype I need to do some repair work to it but once thats done I'll post pict's.

The one I have is a 2 per line setup (42 LED's) instead of the 3 (63) in the drawing, it is working on tape grass and red winditi(that might be spelled close Rolling Eyes ) in my 10 gallon.
What I posted last time is a much better and higher light output setup, and can easily be made to even higher light by increasing the LED's.

LED's CAN NOT be rated the same as all other lighting, but, the 'bulbs' last 2 years before losing color and A Lot less power! we're talking milli-watts not watts of power but more focused and no refelctors needed. If built right the hight could be less than 1.5 inches tall. MY prototype is 1 inch or so tall.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: