Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Does anyone know about this product?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)20:54    Post subject: Does anyone know about this product? Reply with quote

I found this Lighting, but it seems rather inexpensive to me.
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22
I'm wondering if it will be good for a 55g planted. I plan to add CO2 later(when I have space for it) I've yet to find info on the manufacturer and am kinda new to underwater gardens and there needs.

Thanks
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start with you are going to have to replace the actinic bulb right away. So you need to factor that into your costs.

Why not get this http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=25 and just use two of the bulbs till you are ready for more light? Of course you will also have to replace the actinic bulbs in it also. But you might want to read http://ahsupply.com/Comparison.htm before you buy the inexpensive lights.

Semper Fi
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I'll likely go with your suggestion. I was just wondering because my LFS has a good stock of the other bulb type, so if one died it would be easier to replace. Wink
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact aquatraders and ask them for some different bulbs when they ship it. I'm pretty sure that for FW folks they switch them out if you request it.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just spend the extra 20$ for the one that comes only with regular compact fluorescent bulbs?
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also good Ideas.

I guess I should do more thinking, and plan on calling them to ask questions. After all I shouldn't spend the money if it isn't just what I want.

At least not untill I somehow become very rich Wink
bash
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using t-5's with the parabolic reflector and a 54 watt t-5 penetrates better than a 65 watt pc and need to only be replaced every two years instead of every year. I use the General Electric 54W 6500K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent with ATI 54W 11000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent from http://www.reefgeek.com
I use them with the T5 Parabolic Reflector for 1-54W Bulb and my ricca loves me. And IME I would venture to say that with only 108 watts over a 55gal as long as your using the T5 Parabolic Reflector you could grow some of the most light sensitive plants thats only my opinion though
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bash

I guess I should make that last post say 'A Lot More Thinking' Rolling Eyes

Wouldn't it be nice, if ya could just get what you need and not have to make sure its the right product and setup. Ya know just call up say this is what I have and a True expert says "oh okay, here you go have a nice day" and be done with it forever Wink

(and Glitch goes running, screaming for his mommy, for the entire 180 miles to his parents house) Confused
bash
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that if you are OK at doing the diy stuff then I would recomend the t-5's over the pc's. Reef geek sells a retro kit as well and I put 2- 54 watt t-5 bulbs with reflectors inside the small narrow strip light that comes on all tanks and this strip is much brighter and penetrates deeper than my hood with 4- 65watt pc's and if you factor in the fact that you replace them less often you save money in the long run. also in my tank that is 26 inches tall I had brown algae on my micro sword when I used the pc's but no longer when I used the t-5's
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with DIY. Electricity and I are friends, but right now I have a very macgyvered setup with no parts I would want to continue trusting aroud water. So I'm looking to buy a complete setup, hopefuly with no extra "worthless" parts when all is said and done.

But please keep the ideas comming you never know what my glitched brain will make of them.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: