Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
missing fish
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesleymullins
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)19:18    Post subject: missing fish Reply with quote

I have a 55 gallon tank that I started about 6 weeks ago. I began with 10 baby cichlids, all under one inch. A few of them are over 3 inches now, with most from 1 3/4 to 2 1/4. I had two die. Both were sickly when I put them in. One lasted a week and the other lasted 15-20 days. All was going well until today....

I always count them when I feed them. I noticed my kennyi did not come to the dinner table. This happened when the other two fish died. I had to move all my rocks and plants around until I found the bodies to remove them. I figured today would be the same.

But I moved everything around and I didn't see its body anywhere. I now assume he was eaten. What troubles me is that he wasnt the smallest fish. in fact, he was a good size. He would have been a little over 2 inches. As I said, the biggest one in the tank (a red zebra) is a little over 3 inches. The zebra looks very guilty to me and when I asked is he had done it, he swam away quickly and hid.

This is my first experience with fish. I wasn't expecting my tank to turn into mutual of omaha's wild kingdom. I just wonder if this is normal behavior.

Last edited by wesleymullins on 2005.04.21(Thu)19:22; edited 1 time in total
wesleymullins
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)19:20    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

55 gallon...oops, sorry. I said 5 gallon
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the tank cycled before you added these 10 fish? If not they are probably dieing from ammonia poisoning.

Also, what are you using for filtration? Foods? Other water parameters?
wesleymullins
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)14:29    Post subject: fish eating each other Reply with quote

my water is fine. that isnt what I was asking about.

the two earlier ones that died seemed unhealthy when I bought them (they were from a "grab-bag" tank that had super cheap fish). So, I didn't worry about them not making it.

what I was asking about was this: is it normal for cichlids to eat each other (as it appears mine have done).

to recap, I have had them for almost 2 months. the bigger ones are a little over 3 inches. the one that is GONE was about 2 inches. and he wasnt the smallest.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: