Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Losing fish
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffy16938
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)18:20    Post subject: Losing fish Reply with quote

My fish tank had been cycling for about a week, and I decided to get three cardinal tetras. I'm starting to think that was a bad idea. I got the fish yesterday. One is already dead. I was told by the fish store to feed them every other day, is that correct? I was wondering about it. I know the temp isn't a problem, I check on them constantly. I just feel really awful, does anyone have any suggestion how I might save the other two. Or were these fish not good to cycle with? I have those strips that test for everything (5 in 1) but I am so horribly confused by them.
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're fish are dying due to the ammonia that is presant due to the cycling process.
My advice would be to take the fish back, and start a fishless cycle:
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you lunarflame, I can't take them back until tomorrow afternoon, I have classes early tomorrow, is there anything I can do to try to help them now and through the night?
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy16938 wrote:
thank you lunarflame, I can't take them back until tomorrow afternoon, I have classes early tomorrow, is there anything I can do to try to help them now and through the night?

The only thing you can really do, is a water change..
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a 1/3 tank water change and try to watch the ammonia levels as best you can. Cool
Buffy16938
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, does this normally happen? Is it the way that one by one they die, or do some die at the same time? Was this fish just possibly weaker than the rest. Sorry, I am really not good at this. The fish store I went to said I should have gotten danios but they weren't what I had wanted, so I had to go and get tetras. Should I also take a water sample for them to test?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the article on the nitrogen cycle in our articles section to see what goes on inside your tank chemically. Also, I would get your own test kit. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes the best master test kit on the market IME.
Hasi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of the post 'cycling and the right "advice"' aswell I am in the same boat as you but luckily I have not yet lost a fish
Buffy16938
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all, I just did about a 1/3 water change. After you are done cycling is it easier for your fish to survive? I have read it has, just wanted to make sure. The two other fish are still going along with a lot of energy and exploring the tank.
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy16938 wrote:
thank you all, I just did about a 1/3 water change. After you are done cycling is it easier for your fish to survive? I have read it has, just wanted to make sure. The two other fish are still going along with a lot of energy and exploring the tank.

After cycling, there is no reason you're fish should die, unless they have a disease, or kill one another, etc.

Cycling is the number one killer of fish for new fish owners. Many do not realize that they need to cycle BEFORE adding fish, etc.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: