Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My new malawis
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoveTigerOscars
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)18:15    Post subject: My new malawis Reply with quote

These are my new fish I got a few days ago for my 26gallon. I got six, and theres a J. Transcriptus also. Anyone able to tell me what specific species these fish are? I got two of each of the light blue, dark blue, and black/yellow. My best guess is that the yellow are "bumble bee" or yellow kenyi. The dark blue/black I think are Melanochromus Johanni. The light blue I think are Pseudotropheus flavus. But those are just guesses!!

dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see 3 different fish in the pics, these are my best guesses as to species.

http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=845

http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=760

http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=787

I hope you are planning to upgrade to a much larger tank soon. If these guys are kept in a 26 for very long all h@# will break loose.

Here is a pic to a P. Flavus, http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=889
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you bumblebee is actually a Pseudotropheus crabro I have 4 of these and they look identicle to yours, their beautiful fish!

check these pics and make your mind up, the males go very black as you can see in the photos.

http://web.mit.edu/lxs/www/cichlids/bumblebee.html

HTH

Jynxy
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already stated, that tank is far too small for these fish at adult size. Your average smaller, more peaceful Mbuna need a minimum of a 55G to give enough territory and swimming space. It's best to always research fish BEFORE you buy - rather than end up with fish where you have no idea of their adult sizes or requirements. Did you buy them from a 'Malawi Mix' tank? - if so they are possibly hybrids. The adult sizes of the fish you have (I agree with dr_fosg8 on the IDs) range from 8in to 6in - add to that the fact they are murderous fish even in a larger tank and you have a recipe for disaster when they mature.
HTH Smile
LoveTigerOscars
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I agree that I should have done more homework before getting the fish. I am not too worried though, I can sort them out and move em to other tanks or take them back to LFS for exchange. They did come from a malawi mix tank, there were hundreds of different kinds of malawis in the tank for 3/$10 LFS told a co worker of mine that also wants to keep africans that the trick to keeping them together is to overstock the tank. I don't know how good of an idea that is. I don't see that as a way to keep them from fighting, but they have a tank there with full grown specimins of the same variety that seem to be doing just fine together there. So Rolling Eyes
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's overstocking to reduce aggression, then there's overstocking which will lead to fish killing each other due to lack of territory. Added to that, you may have filtration issues - the tank at the LFS is a temporary holding tank which will be filtered by a huge sump system for the whole shop. What sort of filter are you running on the tank?
The mix you have now will be fine with large water changes until these fish mature - then expect a lot of dead fish... Confused
LoveTigerOscars
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Rena xp1 canister filter along with a pulsar 200 (whisper knock off) backfilter. I have been doing more frequent water changes to keep the nitrate down, it hasn't been real high though, about .10
I am trying to decide wich of the fish I have I like best and then I think I will stick with those and cull the rest and take them back to LFS or give them to my co worker. I am leaning towards the johannis but I think I have two males since the females are supposed to be yellow? I can also tell already that the crabros are out growing the rest. I am working on getting either a 75 or 90 gallon tank so that I can set up a good Malawi tank without having so much trouble since I like them.
Is it OK to run carbon in the filters with Africans?
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoveTigerOscars wrote:

Is it OK to run carbon in the filters with Africans?

Yes.

LoveTigerOscars wrote:
I have been doing more frequent water changes to keep the nitrate down, it hasn't been real high though, about .10

Are you sure you don't mean nitrItes? Nitrates aren't typically expressed in tenths and hundreths of a mg/l. nitrItes, on the other hand, are expressed in decimals.

Jake
LoveTigerOscars
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAH!!! I always get them confused Embarassed It is Nitrate and my readings are always about 10 or lower, sometimes but not often will be about 15 if I havent done a water change in a while.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: