Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Honey Gourami?? Male? Female? Do they look healthy?
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthea
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)17:49    Post subject: Honey Gourami?? Male? Female? Do they look healthy? Reply with quote

hi everyone I am very new to this sport and have no idea if the fish are OK. they eat well seem to swim happy all day. I also have no idea if I have a male and female. I am guessing but have put some pics below for opinions. Doing water changed 20% per week, bit of an amonia problem but have sorted that now. Tank is 35 litres with one Betta and the 2 honeys
Male??

Female??
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one seems to be a male, the second a female..

jsut a few things though. Did you cycle your tak prior to adding fish?

As well, I'm not sure how compatible the betta will be with these guys, as they are all territorial.
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the tank was cycled and the water tested every few days by the LFS . There are no issues with territory but I will keep watch
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Gourami killed my betta, so id watch them very closely! also the top pic looks like he has slight fin rot, id watch out for that also, it certainly doesn't look as healthy as the second one.

I took this peice out of an article I saw on the web, to find the diffrence between male and female......

In the honey gourami the female is larger than the male. The female gets to a total length of 4.5 cm, while the male
gets to a total length of 4 cm. The males are a beautiful bright orange color, and have a black throat and abdomen
that extends into the front part of the anal fin. Most of the dorsal fin is bright yellow. The males are not quite as
bright when out of spawning condition. The females are plain, with the body being slightly tinged brownish
orange, with a silvery fluorescent glow.

hope that helps....

Jyxny

PS..very nice looking fish!
sharrko
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)22:55    Post subject: wonder if someone can help. Reply with quote

This looks so much like mine. I had them for a little over 4 months. I lost one of them last week and now itlooks like the otherone is on its way. I have some redish spots on their body, fins are kind of like something has eaten off of it, and they both loook skinier. They never lost activity, both have been fairly, active, and never swim sideways or anything. But since I lost the first one, who was eating well and doing well till the second he died, I am affraid I am loosing the otherone. Can anyone help me???? I am affraid he will not last more then a few days, and I won't have time to go to the fish store till sometimes next week. please help.
Had problem last month with the water. The water became cloudy, like an algie, but I never got any live plants in it, and never add tap water.The shop said it was ..........too clean. No acid, alkaitity was at 0 ( zero ), and was grwoing possibly algie. so I added some stuff and got it to where it should be. Can not test amonia till I go to the shop, but hardness, and alkaitity is fine. I used R/O water , about 10 gallons, and 30 gallons yosemity drinking water.
I hope I can save the second one. I realy like the look, and feel bad for not providing the best care for him.
Oh by the way, my red parrots and having eggs, so I must be doing something right, and water is crystal clear. It took about a week to clear up from the foging I had, but now is clean enough I feel I can drink off of it. All on it's own a,d with the help of that stuff for the acidity booster.
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm I may be the only one but I believe these aren't honey gouramies.... They look more like trichogaster labiosus, or thick-lipped gourami.
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random's correct. The head shape is wrong as is the light fringing on the anterior of the ventral fin. C. chuna also should demonstrate some semblance of a horizontal band running from head to tail, whereas these fish show evidence of vertical markings instead.

Following is a profile of T. labiosus. Similar to anthea's fish, the profiled gourami is a bred color variant of T. labiosus.

http://www.plantedtank.net/fishprofiles/87/
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: