Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
penguin 200 WAY to powerful for a 20 gal?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)16:16    Post subject: penguin 200 WAY to powerful for a 20 gal? Reply with quote

I am just cycling the tank now, but this filter seems way way to powerful for a 20 gal tank. And there is no way to adjust the flow. Any suggestions?

Also is the biowheel all that special or is that just a gimmick to snag people?
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

any info or advice would be greatly appreciated seeing as I want to get the filtration figured out sooner rather then later :: )
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be able to keep ghost shrimp reasonably happily in the tank because they are very funny to watch, but if they have to be kept in another tank so be it. I just think I need a step down in filter, but I have been out of the hobby for ages now. Maybe this filter is fine for the tank?

Anyway look forward to your comments.
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked Petsmart, and it said that the Penguin 200 is for tanks UP TO 50 gallons so I think it will be fine. You will just have to watch to see if the fish are struggling against a current or not and adjust accordingly.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

To adjust the flow temporarily (like when you're feeding the fish) you lift the intake a little bit and push it back down if or when you'd like the filter at full force. When the intake is lifted the biowheel probably won't turn (mine never did). Another trick is to stuff filter floss in the filter before the cartridge (if that's what you're using) and as the floss gets full of stuff the flow will slow down. The flow will eventually slow a bit anyway as biofilm and such builds-up.

Did you plan to add any fish? If so, too much current or not would depend on the fish you plan to keep. I don't think it will bother the ghost shrimp. Do you plan to keep plants as well?
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on keeping plants yes. Also I put one of my shrimp in there as a test and he was flying all over the place. It was mildly ammusing, but in no way would I want to have them in that permanently. I do plan on adding fish.

Thinking some loaches, corys, tetras. I don't have the line up all figured out yet, but I think this filter is just a bit too much fo rmy needs. Also I have heard horror stories of biowheels stopping, and people coming back to a completely dead tank.

Whats so good about the bio wheel? What wrong with just a normal filter, or a smaller bio wheel?

I do go away for weekends, almost every weekend, and I can't have a bio wheel die on me, so is there something other thats better? All the biowheel does is help filter out amonia and nitrates right? I have conditioners for that.

Anyway any further advice will be much appreciated. I have to take this filter back anyway because it has allready died about 20 times on me.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, biowheels work, IMO... I used to change the entire cartridge before I realized they could just be rinsed off and used again until they fell to pieces. I tested the water when I did so and didn't notice a spike in ammonia or nitrite. They provide more oxygen for the good bacteria and more surface for them to grow.

You don't have to use the cartidges at all if you like... you can buy sponges for AQ and cut them to size and they last much longer, and I mean in many cases years verses the cartridges made for the penguin.

If you are taking it back and stand a chance at exchanging... I would pick either a AQ mini or the next size up. It's up to you how much filtration you'd like. Aqua clear filters are adjustable.

And you know what? I might not have been correct about adjusting the penguin filter (if that's what you are asking about) as I looked them up and they look different from the filters I currently have... they've been updated, but I haven't! Very Happy
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a chance for exchange. I just want a bit less current I think so I can put the betta in there somewhat happily as well as the ghost shrimp. Gonna leave one shrimp in it overnight to see how he likes it, and then decide tommorow. I currently have no plants or anything in it just the sand and the gravel. I will be getting them stuff to hide on, in, and plants to add life to the place. Then I will put some fish in and see how it all works out.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're planning to add a fancy betta to the tank, it probably won't like that much current.

If you do exchange the filter... be sure to keep at least some filter media so you don't lose all the bio-bugs. I'd hate to hear that you had to start all over.

Good luck!
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually going to keep the 200 and prolly get another tank set up for the betta, or just keep him in the bowl. Will prolly get him a 2-5 1/2 gallon
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: