Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filter and changing water
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nycfilipina
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)6:50    Post subject: Filter and changing water Reply with quote

Hi, I have a problem with my filter when changing water. When I drain the water it stops flowing because in the middle of the intake tube there are small holes and when the water level goes below it, there's no more water for the filter to suck up....
So I wanted to know if there is any technique to prevent it from happening or do I just unplug the filter?
Is it okay to leave the filter unplugged while I change the water? When I plug it back in, I have to pour water backin the filter to get it running again.
Any suggestions?
I have a penguin(sp) biowheel filter Confused
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet would be just to unplug it. Bad things happen to filters when they run 'dry'. There really isn't much you can do to get around this, as filters are only designed to have a certain amount of draw (otherwise known as 'head').
Nycfilipina
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Benedict....
So how long do you think it take for the biowheel or the media to dry up and lose the bacteria??? I think I finish my WC in less than 30mins or just about 30mins.
thanks
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nycfilipina wrote:
Thank you Benedict....
So how long do you think it take for the biowheel or the media to dry up and lose the bacteria??? I think I finish my WC in less than 30mins or just about 30mins.
thanks

I'm not sure precisely how long nitrifiers will live in open air. If you're concerned about it, you can always make sure your filter is filled to the max with tank water. You could then take the biowheel off and soak it in tank water until you're finished with the change.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)14:12    Post subject: you are doing fine Reply with quote

It is best to turn the filter off, so the impeller does not overheat, it is cooled by water running over it. Even better, plug the heater and the filter and the lights into a power strip and turn them all off when you do water changes.

You may still have to add water to the filter, sometimes it may start up, sometimes it may not without the extra water. My Penguin 330 once in a while will start up without extra water, not often. Just keep a cup handy and add the water as part of the normal procedure.

I suggest getting a power strip that has a built in GFI, Walmart had one for $11 last year. It will protect you from shock if your heater is damaged or you drop the lights into the tank.
Nycfilipina
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonapersona
Thank you for your input!! Very much appreciated. I will look for that power strip. Which dept would I find it in?
asaint
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the suggestion of removing the bio-wheels and floating them in the tank while you do the water change.

Best of luck,
Asaint
Nycfilipina
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you everybody for your suggestions!! Smile
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)8:30    Post subject: don't float the biowheel Reply with quote

Don't float the biowheel -- A) the wheel isn't going to dry out, B) you are making unnecessary complications, C) those bacteria need more air than they can get underwater.

The GFI/power strip is in the extention cord department. It is listed as aquarium safe. I think it is a surge protector also. If they don't have it, ask if they can get it for you. Well worth the protection if the outlet is not already on a GFI!
Nycfilipina
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonapersona-Thank you for pointing that out to me!! Today I actually left it in place and just tried to fill it as soon as possible. It was a pain tryin to take it out anyhow...
thanks!!!!! Rolling Eyes
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: