Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
higher or lower
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenhodgson
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)6:37    Post subject: higher or lower Reply with quote

hi I was thinking how do you make your GH higher or lower and the same for KH becuase I want to keep cichlids and I never really bothard with this before? so how can you do it ??becuase I'm stuck Sad Confused
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few ways to do both-

To raise your hardness-
The easiest and most user friendly is to track down some 'cichlid salts' or similarly geared water conditioners which you can simply add to the tank. (There are products out there, I'm just not familiar with them.)

Another option is to add crushed coral or shells to your tank, as they will both slowly disintergrate, leaching hardness into your tank. Obviously, this option gives you less control and it may take quite a bit of it to raise hardness to adequate levels.

To lower-
You can add peat moss to your filter, which will add acids to your water which will breakdown both General and Carbonate hardness. Again, controlling the level to which this works takes a lot of trial and error. Driftwood can also be beneficial to this, though too a much lesser degree.

The most controllable, yet most expensive route, is by using water that has been runn through a Reverse Osmosis filter. R/O filters remove most of the hardness from water. Generally, it is mixed with tap water to maintain some buffering stability. The drawback here being the cost, cheap R/O filters start at about $100.

Finally, some folks have used rainwater because it is usually devoid of hardness. Obviously, the big problem here is the unpredictability of getting some (half thee time weathermen are wrong). Further, there are issues of pollution.

Anyway, there's an overview of methods to lower and raise your hardness and pH. If you search around the thread history there is a treasure trove of more detailed info, as well as links to good sources for all of this stuff.

Hope that helps.
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of cichlids? S.American of African?
Usually S.American are used with Peat and
African with cichlid Salt. Just as mentioned above
stephenhodgson
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at south american cichlids Smile
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, before you begin treating the water to adjust your pH, what are your water parameters and which SAs are you interested in? (Some SAs really don't need water that is too soft or acidic, it varies from fish to fish)

Jake
stephenhodgson
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

so really south african cichlids need alkline water and semi soft to semi hard water ??
my parameters are :
nitrate 20ppm
nitrite I'm not to sure
and my pH is bang on 7
but I havent got a test kit to test km and GH is this vitel to cichlids
I also want to put sand in my tank but I have an internal filter which is a juwell (in my juwell aquarium) will this not suck the sand up plus I don't think this is a very good filter to keep cichlids in because it doesn't keep my water clean I was going to by a fluval 3 (which is an exturnal filter) are they hard to clean out ?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: