Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Venturing into the world of salt
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)22:26    Post subject: Venturing into the world of salt Reply with quote

OK I'm going to have an extra tank soon, it's either going to be a 29g or a 10g, so I'll look at it as if I'm doing a 10. All I want is some live sand, live rock, some feather dusters, a couple of shrimp, one to two fish like a clown or a blenny, and one turbo snail, MAYBE some coral polyps.

Besides a powerhead, hydrometer, Instant Ocean and a saltwater test kit what would I need? Does this list sound feasible? What kind of lighting would I need? I was thinking of getting a PC light thing with 50/50 lighting. I know the 29g is better, but I may not have it, I know I'll have the 10.

Also some good web sites would be helpful. Smile

Thanks so much
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning on running a skimmer too?
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a ten gallon one fish. I'd go with the clown, just not a tomato or maroon clown. they get big. I would use power compact 50/50 for soft coral. It is what I used on my 29gal when I first started salt with soft corals. I would get a cheap skimmer. That is a relative term don't worry about spending a fortune on one. I had a prizm on my 29 (now its on my 75 but I need to get a better skimmer). On the 10gallon maybe a cheap airstone driven skimmer. good websites are www.wetwebmedia.com , www.reefcentral.com , www.reefcorner.com , www.reefs.org . a good book I would suggest is the conscientious marine aquarist but most of that book's info is on the wetwebmedia website as it is the authors site. Thats in case you spent all your money on equipment and can't afoord many books like me Wink .
p.s. for motile invverts I would have at least 1 snail per 5gal. 1 hermit crab per 5 and a brittle star for either tank. That would make a good clean up crew.
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress with live rock, a powerHead, and a HOB filter you would not need a skimmer for your 10 gallon.

55 gallon saltwater tank

Three 1 gallon Betta bowls
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck on your journey......

I am on the same one!!!!!

Rob
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

first from a person who owns a nano reef, I have a few Qs for you huntress:

Do you have your own ro filter?

what is your budget?

also one of the key sites for nano reefs hasn't seemed to have been mentioned. www.nano-reef.com is the best forum for nano reef related questions and has a list of fish and corals sutiable for nano marines.

may I also add that having fish in such a small tank is going to make it more difficult. I have 1 clown in my 7.5 and I have a prism skimmer which dose a bit. at the moment everything is stable. if you use ro water when mixing up your water change and top off water an hob filter for mechanical filtration allong with the live rock should be all the filtration you need.

for lighting around 50watts of pc lighting will allow you to keep almost any lps or soft coral you desire.

also its just me but I think you would want to go with a very interesting fish. such as the bi colour blenny. cute, interesting and full of personality.

good luck huntress and welcome to the world of the marine hobby!
2 winged demons
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a heater for stable temperature.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: