Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cycling, pH, and one dead shrimp
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carack
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)20:55    Post subject: Cycling, pH, and one dead shrimp Reply with quote

So I'm presently cycling my tank and to get an idea how it is going, and to add ammonia, I put in three ghost shrimp. One of the ghost shrimp died, and I checked the pH. The basic pH kit I have only reads up to 7.6, and I'm sure its a little bit above that. The tank is a beginner TopFin 10-gallon kit, with power filter and submersible heater.

I have a betta bowl (2-gallons) that I checked the pH on at the same time as the 10-gallon tank. I just gave it a water change today, and the pH was at around the same level as the tap water. In both of these tanks I have anacharis and mondo grass. I just found out that mondo grass is not an aquatic plant and will be removing them soon. I know that it could possibly be the substrate, but it doesn't seem like that should be affecting it. Our water is particularly hard here, so I'm surprised that there is such a large difference in the pH in the 2-gallon versus the 10-gallon.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to figure out why my 10-gallon is at such a high pH? I thought I read somewhere that pH generally drops during cycling...
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the level of the pH of the tap water? Without a comparison, it's hard to say. Also, what is in the 10g in forms of decoration and such.
Carack
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, though I stated what the tap and the betta bowl pH levels were at when I checked them. They were at 7.2, which I feel isn't all that bad considering that our water is decently hard. I don't have a full test kit; I simply have the pH test. I had some of my water checked at a lfs, and they also got a high pH reading, something along the lines of 7.8!

In the 10-gallon, I have the one mondo grass and a few short stalks of anacharis which seems to be decently happy. The tank is running at around 80 degrees on average, with moderate fluctuations throughout the day. Could the water be evaporating and increasing concentrations of particles that are affecting the pH? The substrate in the 10-gallon is different than the 2-gallon. Actually, I just looked at the bag (I dug it out of the trash) and it says that this substrate might affect pH levels...

The substrate is TopFin 10 lb bag of premium quality aquarium gravel, and looks like tumbled natural stone.

If this gravel is causing the pH to rise, what should I do? I definitely don't want to keep it in there if its going to make my pH sway from 7.2 to 7.8... How can I make sure that its the gravel? Should I take some of the gravel and place it with some water someplace else, and check the pH level on that? I suppose I could get some new substrate.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does your tap water test at? Same as the bowls? Actually the substrate probably just buffers the water if anything. You may want to test some tap water that has sat out for 24 hours and see the difference. It may just be a case of disolved gasses.
Carack
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tap straight out of the faucet is at 7.2. When I checked some of my water change water that has been in a 2L with cap, dechlorinated, it was at the same level of 7.2. By the way, can I keep the caps on the 2Ls when I dechlorinate the water or does it need to be broken down and released into the air?

As I said earlier, I changed the water in my betta bowl today, which has been up for about one week. The 10-gallon was just restarted within the past two days, and has been cycling with three ghost shrimp inside. One of the ghost shrimp died, which isn't too particularly surprising since the pH is pretty high. The other ones are looking rather lethargic.

My anacharis is a little brown on the tips, which is probably from the really warm water, although a few of the stalks seem to be thriving.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmm I don't think your ghost shrimp are having pH issues, have you checked your ammonia? They are really not good animals to cycle with at all if you are going to go that route.
Carack
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worried about the shrimp, they are mostly there just to give the bacteria something to feed on and work as an indicator for how the system is moving along...

However, I am concerned with a high pH level in my tank, as a change from the lower level that comes from the faucet.
ozziegt
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water out of the faucet has CO2 in it. After 24 hours this CO2 leaves the water and the pH can go up. Put some tap water in a bowl and test it after 24 hours.

The shrimp have such a low bioload they aren't going to help with cycling at all. You need something which provides more ammonia than that.

You might also want to check the buffering capacity of your water...mine has very little. I think my pH went up quite a bit when I was cycling too, but now that it's established it stays under 7.5. I use a buffer to keep it at 7 since I have no buffering capacity.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: