Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gasping fish
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moo
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)19:01    Post subject: Gasping fish Reply with quote

I know this sounds really dumb but I have a single neon tetra that all of a sudden started to gasp for air, or so it looks like. All my other fish are doing fine and this one was fine up until today. What should I do? I have a 10 gal, planted, and it's been established for about 3 months.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you only have 1 neon? by itself it is probably stressed out. they should be in groups of 5 or more.

what are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH levels? what type of filtration do you have? what is the temperature of the tank? to make a good diagnosis we need lots of information!

andrew
2 winged demons
Moo
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you what ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are for I don't have any method of testing them. pH is about 7.6-7.8. I have a box filter and the tank temperature is usually around 76 whenever I check it. Unfortunately that fish died today. I had a group of 6 neons initially but now it's down to 4. Last night I noticed some behavior differences in one of the neons, it was attcking and chasing the others away. That was the one who was gasping for air and died. I don't know if it would really be considered gasping but the fish constantly opened and closed it's mouth non stop. Any ideas what this could be.
seadoubleyou
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing the water parameters. I would just do a large water change asap. It's hard to know what the problem is, but if the fish looks like its strugglung like that, I would suspect that it is probably poor water quality......
CW
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mo,

When the fish died did it turn grey and have it's mouth shaped in an O?
spongebob
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)9:28    Post subject: Gasping fish Reply with quote

Maybe it had flukes...they can make a fish gasp. Do a search online to find a treatment if any other fish start displaying the same symptoms. And I agree that a water change is in order.
Moo
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well that night I did a 10% water change, as I do every week. Another fish died a couple of days before this one with possibly a swim bladder problem for it had trouble swimming straight and staying upright. All fish are doing fine as of now.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey moo-

First and foremost, I think you'd be doing yourself a huge favor if you got a Master Test kit. Ultimately, it will pay for itself if you look at it as 'fish life insurance'. It really sounds to me like your fish are having respiratory issues due to toxins, but without a kit, you'll never know. How long have you had this tank set up? (this will at least be somewhat helpful in determining if it is ammonia/nitrite related).

Also, I think it would be very helpful if you did larger water changes. Since you are obvioulsy having some issue, be it either ammo/trite poisoning or disease, a healthy 50% water change is the begining of virtually all treatment.

From there on out, I would do at least 20% a week.

As far as it being swim bladder disease or flukes, it is pretty hard to tell without crossing some other possiblities off the list.

Jake
Moo
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to buy a master test kit but I can't find one around here and also if I buy the seperate stuff it will far to expensive for me. Since I'm here, I have another question. My dwarf gourami's feces is stringy, white/clear, and long. Is this normal? If not, what could it be? I think it's an internal infection but I'm not sure. Another question, if I put in a fizzing medication, tank buddies, in the tank, will it kill my neon tetras if used at the recommended dosage?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: