Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Amquel+
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jersysman
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:19    Post subject: Amquel+ Reply with quote

What is Amquel+ used for? I was using AquaSafe as a water conditioner to get rid of chlorine in the tap water. When I went into the LFS, they said that I should also use Amquel+ to get rid of the ammonia after cycling. So, am I supposed to use them both?
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read when I did a quick search on it, it just helps remove toxins that are left in the water after the Nitrogen cycle. It does not say anything about removing Ammonia.
supaoopa
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use one or the other. I personally use Amquel + as my main water conditioner since it takes care of chlorine and chloramines as well as help to slightly reduce ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate (shouldn't take the place of a good water change if ammonia or nitrites are high).

Once your tank is cycled you shouldn't have to worry about ammonia unless you add to many fish at one time.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)7:01    Post subject: Re: Amquel+ Reply with quote

jersysman wrote:
What is Amquel+ used for? I was using AquaSafe as a water conditioner to get rid of chlorine in the tap water. When I went into the LFS, they said that I should also use Amquel+ to get rid of the ammonia after cycling. So, am I supposed to use them both?

They're totally running misinformation on you there. Once a tannk is done cycling, there shouldn't be ammonia in your water...But, Amquel will help with your ammonnia if you are still cycling (of course not enough to avoid the typical water changes you'll want to make when cycling).

Amquel is a good product though. But as supoopa said, use one or ther other, you certainly don't need them both.
jersysman
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)10:41    Post subject: Re: Amquel+ Reply with quote

benedictj wrote:
They're totally running misinformation on you there. Once a tannk is done cycling, there shouldn't be ammonia in your water...But, Amquel will help with your ammonnia if you are still cycling (of course not enough to avoid the typical water changes you'll want to make when cycling).

Amquel is a good product though. But as supoopa said, use one or ther other, you certainly don't need them both.

I read the article on fishelss cycling on this site and it didn't mention anything about water changes. It said do a large water change with both the ammonia and nitrites get to zero. Hope I'm doing this right.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the AmQuel + with every water change, as my tap water is high in nitrates. (over 80 ) So its a must.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)15:28    Post subject: Re: Amquel+ Reply with quote

jersysman wrote:

I read the article on fishelss cycling on this site and it didn't mention anything about water changes. It said do a large water change with both the ammonia and nitrites get to zero. Hope I'm doing this right.

Okay, yeah. It seemed from your original post that the lfs was trying to get you to buy Amquel to finish your cycle. Ultimately, once you have finished the fishless cycle, you should be able to use a garden variety dechlorinator.

In fact, since you are fishless cycling, I would avoid using Amquel and just stick with a regular dechlorinator. (It certainly won't be the be all end all if you do, but why pay for the additional ammonia converting properties when you want ammonia there in the first place)(it converts to ammonium, which your nitrifiers will use, btw).

Jake
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

What amquel does is bind the toxic ammonia and leave the non toxic ammonium which also feeds the bacteria colony. Personally after cycling I don't see any use in using it, unless you have a ammonia or nitrite spike or if you have ammonia or nitrites in your tap water, which can happen. For treating the tapwater that doesn't have ammonia I use Kordon's other product, NovAqua.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: