Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Buying Fish Online
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shark70
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:02    Post subject: Buying Fish Online Reply with quote

I'm curious about anyone's experiences buying fish online. The idea of getting a fish mailed seems a little strange to me and I would imagine that the fish would get exteremely stessed, but I have read that fish stores get some of their stock this way. Is the survival rate any different? I want to get a bristlenose pleco and I've yet to see one in any of my local shops, and I've been on the lookout for quite sometime. Online, seems like the only option. Thanks.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with everything, it depends on your source. Look for sellers who garuntee live arrival. Even better if you can find someone who will extend that to a week or so.
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had top-notch experiences. So far I've had dozens of bettas, eight species of shelldwellers, and various other cichlids shipped to me and essentially all of my experiences have been fabulous. Pay for overnight shipping, and make sure the shipper knows what he or she is doing, but basically it's not something to be frightened of. Remember, fish travel across continents and often much, much farther than that to reach fish stores. If anything, you're skipping a step in the stressful process by having fish shipped directly to you.
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any reason not to do it, and if I ever had to, I would. As little Mousling said, fish often travel great distances. a lot of fish that are sold in America come from Florida, and most stock at my lfs is out of state. A lot also comes from Thailand and Southern Asia.

But if you feel uncomfortable with it, you might be able to have fish ordered through your local fish store. Some don't, but many, like privately owned ones will. I had my pearl gouramis special ordered for me since no one in town carried them and I didn't have internet at the time. Still, the fish will be traveling to the fish store, or to your doorstep either way.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all the fish you see at the store have come a long ways from wherever they were hatched and raised. I see no problem with buying fish online except you must be able to trust your seller and shipping can be expensive. Dealing with other hobbyists is another good way and this can get you access to less common fish.
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about this though.. what about going through customs? If I wanted a fish from the US to be sent to Canada, would customs make a big deal about it? I know I have had problems with many parcels in regards to US customs.. so getting a fish from the US really scares me..lol
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

from experiance lunarflame, getting stuff out of the US isn't hard it's getting stuff into it. when I was in iraq, some of the other troops around me got some pretty interesting things sent from the states, but customs can be a pain in the neck shipping stuff into the US. customs shouldn't be a problem unless your ordering a banned invasive species or something that blows up Very Happy .
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)15:19    Post subject: oneline buying must read Reply with quote

Buying fish on the internet is perfectly fine, if you know what you are doing. Find a cite that has overnight shipping and at least heats the fish bag with a heating pad or somthing. Shipping livestock is taking a risk, so I would suggest that you find a cite that had a garentee or something. GO to this cite: www.fishsupply.com . Go to where it says "policy" on the left-hand side of the screen. Click there and read all the polycies and see what I mean. I would also suggest that you start out buying a very hardy fish, like a pleco or something so you have little risk of desease and damage to the fish until you see if you are happy with the way they shipped the fish. Stay away from things that are suceptable to desease. Look very closely at the fish to make sure you aren't introducing desease, and remember, as with all fish, acclimate properly and NET THE FISH OUT! Never let the water in the bag into your tank or you could be releaseing all sorts of nasty bacteria and paracites into your tank.
nukri
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)12:34    Post subject: buying fish online, take 2 Reply with quote

Hi,

I, as many others, wondered about it as well and browsed through this forum more than once. There seems to be number of good advises but for some reason people stop short of actually saying which sites did they like personally.
It would be really helpful if you (general you) could share with the rest of us the sites that you had good experience(s) with. This includes fish, plants, shrimp etc.
I may be missing something but are there any legal concerns why people avoid giving out such info? If so, one does not need to share the negative encounters, only the positives.
So, any sites, anyone?
nukri
M249spence
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)19:47    Post subject: buying fish online Reply with quote

for shrimp purchasing and info:

http://www.petshrimp.com/
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: