Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Applying To Walmart. Good Idea?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)15:57    Post subject: Applying To Walmart. Good Idea? Reply with quote

I'm old enough to get a job this summer, and I've been collecting applications from different businesses. My mom brought me home an appliction form for Walmart. She talked to the lady there who works in the fish department and she said that if I wanted to work in that section, all I'd have to do it write that in on my application.

Before I apply, I was wondering if working in the fish section would really be a good idea. I've learned a lot from this forum, but I don't really know if I know enough about dealing with inexperienced people. Also, I was curious, if in a large chain like this, if I'd be able to have flyers handy explaining betta care or the importance of the nitrogen cycle, or would I have to go over there myself and talk to someone about that sort of thing.

I'm new to this, and rather curious, and it really makes my blood boil to see someone buying two goldfish for their half gallon tank and not knowing exactly why that it isn't a good idea.

Any input?

Thanks.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Flurry,

I'd suggest you go ahead and apply. You might even want to consider dropping off the application at a time when the woman who runs the dept. is there. Talk to her about how they handle things. See if you can get her personal views on cycling and compatability, etc. I've worked in many, many jobs (though never one in a fish shop or dept) and find now that when you do the whole "interview" thing, it is as much about you as it is about any potential employer.

Even if you're uncomfortable with the way things run there, you might want to take the job if it is offered to you for a few reasons. First, you can get hands on experience with some fish that you don't have. Secondly, you can definitely be pro-active about making conditions better for the fish. Also, times are hard, jobs aren't easy to come by.

And lastly-Never under estimate the importance of the employee discount Laughing.
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to me, and like benedict says, you should probably get a feel for how things are run down there, they may not WANT to change.
The Walmart in my hometown had HORRIBLE conditions for their fish. They were always sick. We always had rumors that they were going to close that section down since noone wanted to buy there fish (Petsmart was right next door).
One day I went in and found all of the tanks green and the area roped off to keep people from disturbing the fish. They also had brown paper bags covering the tanks. I began to enquire the employee as to why Walmart is suddenly treating all of their sick fish - or more concerning, why are ALL the fish sick?
This was a new girl, very knowlegable about fish, she'd only just started a couple weeks before. The fish always came in sick from the supplier, she said. And they were treating them now because SHE was running things.
But you'll have to be prepared, that even if you do reform the Walmart fish department (as she did), there will always be customers that want what they want and don't want to hear anything that contradicts their desires. I don't think it's Walmarts policy to refuse a sale to a customer just because the customer can't take care of it properly.

Good luck!
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some Walmart fish dept people and they hate the job. WalMart's policies and good fishkeeping most certainly do NOT mesh, and there is not much you'd be able to do about it. It'll drive you nuts, having to sell some goober 6 Bala sharks for his 10 gallon tank because it's against policy to discourage any sale.

As it happens, I'm considering joining Walmart myself, just for the benefits. I know the problems, but on the other hand, everyone in this town knows me and knows that I won't steer them wrong. We're getting a Supercenter next year, and I see some opportunity in that.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)8:07    Post subject: Walmart Reply with quote

What is Walmart and sounds like a cheap and nasty aquarium store from what people in Age of Aquarium site are saying.I glad this shop is not in Australia if the shop is this bad.

from Josh
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The way I see it, if people want bala sharks for thier 10 gallon tank, I could tell them why it isn't a good idea, recommend something else, but if they still want them, at least I tried, eh?

I think the woman who runs the pet section is the woman who used to work at our LPS... and the woman who sold the two goldfish to the teen with the half gallon tank. Rolling Eyes

Other than that, the tanks there are healthy and the only problem I noticed were with the bettas. Thier cups were dirty, one had fungus, and one had bit off it's tail. I bought the one that bit off it's tail, thinking it was fin rot, but alas, it was not. I'm pretty good with betta care, and am a HUGE betta lover... thats why I think that the bettas should go home with a care sheet...
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Josh! I forget how many people here aren't from the US. Walmart is a "get anything" store. They sell clothes, electronics, dishes, baby items, car parts, groceries, and yes, even fish and gardening supplies. Just about the only thing they DON'T sell are large appliances and cats and dogs. You'll sometimes see it referred to as "Wally World" or WW.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)8:48    Post subject: Walmart Reply with quote

Thnaks, I now know what you are talking about. The closet store in Australia like that is Kmart except for the groceries and the live animals. The dodgy shops I personally believe are the franchise Pet In Paradise except the dodgy products their have are really expensive for example Water changer syphon is $50. They are usually found in shopping centres. You can probably guess where I first started my aquarium hobby in the most expensive shop in Queensland which I find it rather funny that on impulse I decided to choose this store. Oh well I had to start somewhere.

from Josh
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flurry wrote:
thats why I think that the bettas should go home with a care sheet...

Unfortunately, I doubt they will let you do this. Anything like what you're mentioning has to be filtered through many channels in a large corporation to check it vs. company policy, any potential legal ramifications, etc. You can definitely give it a shot, but expect that process to take a long time, if it even gets taken seriously at all.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of the posts above. The corporation has been in business for several years, and let's be realistic; it is a rare person who does educated fish purchases at a Wal-Mart. You may as well buy a chameleon at a swap meet.

I worked for PetsMart in the fish department for two years, and I lost count of how many times I was written up for giving out non-PetsMart information, as well as the odd times I was taken aside and told that I asked the customer too many questions about their fish tank, or reptile tank, or hamsters, or what have you, or spent more than five minutes with someone picking out new fish for their tank.

You may get away with it for a few customers, or even in the short run altogether, but eventually you'll either leave, disgusted by said company rules, or you'll get to the apathetic state where bagging someone ten balas for their 5 gallon tank doesn't even make you wince. As someone who has been there and found the landscape interesting but not worth a sacrifice, tis all I can say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: