Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Who in my aquarium is killing and injuring other fish?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)12:41    Post subject: Who in my aquarium is killing and injuring other fish? Reply with quote

Hi,
My 2 1/2 year old 80 gallon community tank has been great; the plants took off and the levels are always right on, and I have had no complaints; been very lucky! There is plenty of room for all, and plenty of hiding places.

However - I have lost a small angelfish, a small gourami, and a small blackskirt tetra over the past two weeks. The remaining angel has been wounded.

I cannot blame (I don't think!) the five neon tetras, the two guppies, the one serpae tetra, or the medium size rainbow shark.

What remains are a large featherfin squeaker catfish, a medium pleco, and a 12 inch ghostknife.

My first instinct was to blame the ghostkknife because I have seen how he pushes his way into and through anything, anywhere, without regard to anyone else in the tank, and I have seen wounds on the catfish and the pleco. I've also seen the catfish and the ghostknife fighting.

I suppose the catfish and the pleco could be hurting each other, and maybe one or both of them are responsible for the losses of the other fish, but I just don't know! No matter how closely I watch, I can't pin it on anyone; the crimes are always committed at night!

I haven't read any comments on the ghostknife, the catfish, or the pleco claiming aggressiveness, but perhaps it's just my particular combination?

I just wondered if anyone has any experience with this combination or any thoughts that might be helpful.

Thank you!
Suzy
x3xz4vi3r
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the gallery, your catfish can be aggressive toward other fish, so that may be what it is
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read several times that Plecos can attack slow moving fish and like eat there mucous skin. I do not no if this is the case though because Tetras are generally not slowmoving fish.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book maker would put it at even odds for either the knife or the squeaker (which ever synodontis it is). Both are nocturnal hunters, so that makes it all the more difficult to deduce.
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose you have an extra tank where you can put one of them in to see if the killing/injuring stops?
Suzy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately,no, no extra tank. I would love to be able to set up a second huge tank and just keep them separate (after I figure out who's doing what) but my circumstances won't allow it. Crying or Very sad
Hasi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you feed the ghost fish at night with pellets that sink to the bottom? 12" is pretty big and they are known to eat other fish at this size.

Does it happen overnight? Or its happened during the day?
Suzy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do feed them at night. I make sure there is plenty of food for everyone. I watch and keep adding more if needed. The ghostknife's diet consists of shrimp pellets (which sink, yes), frozen brine shrimp cubes (he's a pig about them!) and the occasional peas and zucchini.

Tomorrow I'm going to put a tube in there for him. He hasn't had one because the plants are so lush and large that he has always had his favorite one to hide under. I'm thinking (hoping) that giving him a tube as well might distract him and make him happier.

On the other hand, if the culprit is the catfish, I don't know of anything I can try....

I appreciate the thought being put into this and the replies; someone is going to come up with something, sooner or later, that might be the key. I'm hoping that the moderators (Discusman?) will have some thoughts on it as well, based on their experience.

Meanwhile, thank you ALL! Very Happy
Hasi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do you find the fish dead/missing/injured?
Suzy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! As mentioned in my first post, the deeds are always done at night, and the damage discovered in the morning.

The remaining angel had part of her tail fin gone and part of one side fin. I isolated her for two days and nights, and she seems fine now. She's even using the side fin, and it isn't as 'gone' as it first looked.

I made a clever isolation unit for an injured fish some time ago. If anyone is interested, I hand stitched plastic needlework canvases together to form a cube that's open on one side. It hangs in the water, with the opening facing up and above the surface of the water. It has come in very handy, and was very cheap to make. I wonder if I should post that in a different section of the message board, in case anyone wants to copy my idea? What do others use to isolate fish that aren't sick enough to be removed but need to be kept safe?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: