Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New member>>great site
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiggledeez
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)20:10    Post subject: New member>>great site Reply with quote

This is deffinately the best site I have come across concerning marine fishkeeping. I am actualyl just starting out in this hobby and it is hard to find good advise on what works and what doesn't. I did have a few questions off hand....

1. I have a percula clownfish that is driving me nuts, he always seems to hide up under the lip of the filter system...rarely comes down, what can I do to make him more comfortable?
2. is live rock a good thing to have in a tank?
3. where is a reputable site to get a good protein skimmer and what style works the best?

Hope I didn't jump out too soon with too many questions, but these are the ones I can't seem to get a solid answer on. thanks for the help in advnce.. Smile
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Wiggledeez. On to your questions.

1.)How long have you had you clownfish? When I first bought my Tomato clownfish for the first day and a half he was staying in the same place in front of my filters current.

2.) Yes live rock is a good thing to have in a tank, its acts as a natural filter.

3.) I would try bigalsonline.com or liveaquaria.com for a protein skimmer.

Its OK that you posted a few questions('Very Happy').

55 gallon saltwater tank

Three 1 gallon Betta bowls
bdhutier
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we ventured into SW a few weeks ago, we decided to put a few damsels into the tank to help sped up the cycling. we had the same issues, they hid the entire time. I went out in the front yard, and brought in a few good sized irregular rocks (volly-ball sized, or so), rinsed them off and stacked them in a pile in the tank. the damsels instantly began swimming in the area of the rocks, in, out and all around.

I guess it makes sense, in the wild, they stick close to cover in the event a predetor comes ambling by. I think that's why my damsels stuck under the lip of the tank. by the sound of your post, I'd bet you have a pretty flat tank bottom. go find some nice rocks, (or pay $1.99/Lb at the LFS), and see what happens!

GL to you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bdhutier don't cycle a tank with fish. To speed up your cycle add some sand, live rock, or filter media from an established tank to speed up your cycle.

55 gallon saltwater tank

Three 1 gallon Betta bowls
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Hit the articles section for lots of input.
Take one of those 2 YT damsels back to your LFS, (one will kill the other) also be advised my friends, rocks from the yard can harbor pesticides (even washing may not help, it can leach out slowly) and kill your fish. Agree, hiding places are essential just stick with those found in your LFS for now. Many posts on skimmer selection on these forums, your questions will lead to success.
wiggledeez
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the fast answers! I guess I will give some live rock a try, I'm just a little paranoid after reading about it(the book I read makes it sound very difficult to manage).Does the live rock negitavly impact the water at all? I should deiffinalty have a protein skimmer by the time I get the live rock I assume... We onlygot the clown about 3 days ago? He seems to be doing much better now, not just hiding under the filter lip. I should take back one of YT's? they seem to be doing OK,, been together about a month, mostly ignore eachother, every so often they get snippy but nothing to bad, one seems agressive one seems very passive, hiding all the time...I still have a lot to learn what I can I say...
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please understand, it is impossible to give good advice when you have not even listed your filter or system goals... your profile says nothing about when you started the system; no specifics result in no specific advice my friend.
Please make your next investment a good book; try THE CONSCIENTIOUS MARINE AQUARIST by Fenner. You need a solid foundation of knowledge, not just a few answers. Meanwhile search the web for NEW TANK SYNDROME and be advised your clownfish could be in peril if your tank is as new as I suspect.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: