Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Pope - White Smoke - Joseph Ratzinger
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)10:28    Post subject: New Pope - White Smoke - Joseph Ratzinger Reply with quote

well, they picked him... Benedict XVI

learn more about him

note: given that he just got elected pope, I believe the website has exceeded their band width as service is temp. unavailable...

pretty interesting... his father was very anti-nazi, but joseph was forced to enlist in the hitler youth... he eventually deserted...
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least for the time being, when customer service people ask how to spell my last name, I can say just like the pope. (Instead my pat, self-depricating 'just like the eggs' or 'just like that traitor Mr. arnold' responses)
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do you think we will have the first black pope?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real need for a discussion on this in a fish board please and thank you.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

uLtRa wrote:
When do you think we will have the first black pope?

It doesn't seem like it will happen soon, which is unfortunate. Most cardinals are white and all of the popes have been European. Frankly, I think we'll see a latin or asian pope first, both of which would bring a refreshing aspect to the catholic church and would be more representational of its diversity, IMO. (I'm a former catholic with a strongly catholic family, I don't attend but I sort of keep track).
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we'll ever a black pope to be honest or any kind of ethnic pope which is a shame. I'm not catholic at all or evenly religious I just take an interest in it. Oh and the definition of the Aqua Lounge is...
Quote:
Talks about the hobby itself, the hobbyists, and important topics not related to fishkeeping.

Surely Aqua Chat follows the same principles and Id say that the selection of a new pope is an 'important topic not related to fishkeeping' So why not discuss this on a fishboard?
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

uLtRa wrote:

Surely Aqua Chat follows the same principles and Id say that the selection of a new pope is an 'important topic not related to fishkeeping' So why not discuss this on a fishboard?

I can certainly see DM's point- religion is one of those hotbutton topics like politics. Still, as long as we can all keep a modicum of civility when talking about it then I suppose that it is a 'no harm, no foul' situation. (but that isn't up to me).

As far as the selection of a minority to the papacy goes, I personally think it is inevitable, but it will take some time. There are millions of non-european catholics in the world.

Last edited by benedictj on 2005.04.21(Thu)8:04; edited 1 time in total
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, just to clarify on Dm's statement, which he may have thought he was going to remove. Religious topics of any flavor tend to be volatile, so he ran it by the rest of us mods and we decided that we'd just keep an eye on it and if everything stays civil, then it'll stay open. With the experiences we have had in volitile topics going extremely wrong, it's much safer to jump the gun than to let it blow up in our faces. Ultra, I'm sure you have been here long enough to realize that. Getting your panties in a bunch isn't going to help your blood pressure. Smile
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, oh no I havent got my blood pressure raised just yet, as you know Huntress I love a good debate on controversial topics Very Happy And I stand corrected after Laskeys PM apparantly theres had been 4 black popes already. Anyway enough fraff back to the thread!!
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Embarassed

Well, live and learn. Though a quick google searched revealed that we have in fact had black popes, we haven't had one since 314 AD. Suffice it to say, we're probably due...
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: