Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
55 gallon cichlid tank with texas holey rock (picture)
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmuhightimes21
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)10:28    Post subject: 55 gallon cichlid tank with texas holey rock (picture) Reply with quote

I've owned the tank for about 3 years, though now, I really feel like I had no clue until recently. At first, I thought I'd go with something evil, so I bought a 6" Dovii. The guy at the aquarium store called him the Hannibal Lector of Cichlids. So off I went. After about a year of seeing nothing but destruction in the tank, I sent him back to the pet store and started again. Now I run a straight sand substrate. I've read online that you should use a sand with multiple sizes of sand pebbles. This is straight 'play sand' from Lowes, about 75 lbs worth. It seems to be doing fine and most of the fish seem to dig with ease. I still have 4 artificial plants in the tank...mostly because I've been cautious at live plants. I heard they're dug up easily. The plants in there now are weighted and have had no problem keeping their position. I had a powerhead 201 and a powerhead 301 given to me from a friend who used to work at Deep Sea Aquarium in Kalamazoo, MI. They had no suction cups to suction them to the glass, so now, they're just holding postion. Two filters run off the back, it's been so long since I've purchased them, I can't remember what they are. Both have biowheels and what looks like carbon filter sleeves? The holey rock, I purchased at a pet store across town. Unfortunatly, they charged $3.50 a lb...so it cost me a decent wad of cash. The heater is old and in serious need of replacing. It doesn't short and is reliable, I'm just worried that with such a thin layer of glass, it might break and possibly electricute some of the fish. The water stays at 79 - 82 F. pH is normally around 7.8 - 8.0 and I've never really had a problem with it as the holey rock raises is for me and keeps it naturally.

[url]http://image24.webshots.com/25/1/58/36/325515836vRsTov_fs.jpg[/url]
as for occupants, I haven't had any trouble introducing new tank mates. I'm not sure if I'm lucky or what, seeing as this is the first time I've tried to keep Africans. Only the Crabo (bumblebee) has shown any sign of real dominance, but I believe that's because he's larger than the rest. All of the other were introduced at their juvenile stages, he has just grown out of it already.

1 Melanochromis Johannii (male)
1 Melanochromis Johannii (female)
1 Yellow Labidochromis
1 Cyrtocara moorii
1 Pseudotropheus Cobalt Blue Zebra
1 Pseudotropheus Red Zebra
1 Pseudotropheus Acei
1 Pseudotropheus Crabo
1 Melanochormis Auratus

1 that was sold as a Zebra Hap, but I'm not so sure
and
1 that was sold as a Red Top, but again, I'm not so sure.

4 zebra snails
1 common Plecostomus[/url]
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the tank?
How many gallons?
What are the dimensions?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

that image is to large to display.
Was there a question? I didn't see one.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Mobern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tank!

I love the look of the texas holey rock. I personally can't find any for my Mbuna tank at a reasonable price... Rolling Eyes

Mobern
wmuhightimes21
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I wrote that whole post, and forgot to ask my question. I'm just looking for reasonable fish to continue adding. I was also hoping to get some help identifying the two fish mentioned. I have a nice picture of the hap that I'll be posting for you soon, but the red top fish is sneaky and elusive so far, resulting in no pictures with any quality.

it's only a 55 gallon tank. I'm not sure of the dimensions, but it's standard 55 gallon.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: